Snagged a Ruger 77/357 (pics)....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I have been saving my money all Summer long to buy a Ruger 77/357. Finally got enough saved, and had my local dealer order me one. He charged me $765, the same price was quoted from three dealers and a Walmart (not that I would ever buy a gun from Walmart). Took several weeks to find one, finally got one through Lipsey's distributor. Picked it up today and ran some rounds through it. I have no bench rest on my mountain top rifle range, so I shot it from the prone position to zero it. Sights were dead on right out of the box, no adjustment needed. Rifle shoots good with jacketed and cast lead bullets.

I like the handiness of this rifle, light weight, short and handy. I understand you gain 300 feet per second velocity when shooting .357 through a rifle barrel, so my handloads which give 1100 FPS from a handgun should be going 1400 FPS from the 77/357.

Here's some pics:

413565278.jpg

Shooting results, five rounds at fifty yards, prone position. Four rounds grouped nicely, must have jerked the trigger a bit to get a low left flyer:

413565280.jpg

The Ruger 77/357 with it's companion revolver, a Ruger Stainless Blackhawk 4 5/8" Barrel:

413565279.jpg

I also like the fact that the 77/357 can be easily scoped. As my eyes age (now 56 years old) it is becoming harder to focus on the front sight on short barrel rifles. I'll shoot this one with no scope until I can no longer see the front sight, then I'll scope it. Hopefully, that will be ten years or so from now....

roashooter

Single-Sixer
Just for a..."FYI"....NECG makes a great peep sight for the Ruger 77/357 and 77/44...that uses the scope mount scallops.....

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Peep_Sights.asp

Flyfisher66048

Bearcat
I added a volquartsen sear to mine, it is very nice now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/158267/volquartsen-target-sear-and-sear-spring-ruger-77-22-77-44-77-50-1-1-2-lb-stainless-steel

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
" As my eyes age (now 56 years old) it is becoming harder to focus on the front sight on short barrel rifles. I'll shoot this one with no scope until I can no longer see the front sight, then I'll scope it. Hopefully, that will be ten years or so from now."
Go ahead and have a Leupold XV3 2.5X8 standing by. They will cost more later and you will most likely need it sooner than in ten years. Been there, done that.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
GAO,

When I do scope the rifle. it will be with some sort of Leupold. Something compact....

I have a Leupold 1 X 4 power shotgun scope mounted on another rifle, it has great clear optics and a crazy wide field of view.