Smoothing Up A Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Over the last couple years, I've added a couple keeper Hawkeyes. Both the 308 on the RCM model and the 9.3x62 African are great handling rifles, but the bolt does not slide like a hot knife through soft butter.
They do not seem that rough when turning down the bolt handle, but drag pretty much across the ejector and as the lugs enter the rear of the receiver.
Any advice on smoothing them up a bit?
Thanks
Bfly

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Second while watching TV, run the bolt fore-and-aft a couple of hundred times. Should smooth up over time.

Ted

Enigma

Hunter
Years ago the gun rag writer Jon Sundra wrote an article about slicking up a bolt action rifle. I followed his advice and performed all of the steps he detailed on a tang safety Ruger M77. It took probably an hour, and made quite a mess of my rifle. I probably spent longer cleaning it up than I did slicking it up. Net result? I could possibly detect a very slight difference in the smoothness while cycling the bolt. It might be worthwhile on some rifles, but IMHO it was a waste of time and effort on that one.

As I recall, it mostly involved applying a mild abrasive - I used JB Bore Paste - to contact surfaces and cycling the bolt back and forth a few hundred times. Do NOT get any abrasive on the locking lugs and do NOT close the bolt! Doing so can increase headspace. Refresh the abrasive as needed; clean thoroughly when finished, then lubricate.

Only a thought, but sounds like Rugers problem not your.

I have a 308 and it's sweet! Your should be too.
Call them they'll send you a shipping label you'll be happy you did it!
Nothing like a person who knows his way around one tuning it up.
Do it before deer season. ps