Smokeless powders to reload for Cowboy Action?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I have been informed that first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs require pressures that are generally used for 45 Colt revolvers in "Cowboy Action" shooting. Obviously, loading current brass with black powder would be below or meet such pressure levels. What I find regarding exterior ballistics of factory "Cowboy Action" 45 Colt ammunition is that there is a large variation in listed muzzle velocities among different factory cartridges having identical bullet weights when all cartridges are loaded with smokeless powder (via Midway Arms' web site).

Please identify smokeless powders that can be efficiently loaded to yield "Cowboy Action" pressures with 250- and 225-grain cast lead bullets. If possible, include TiteGroup as one of these powders. Hodgdon's web site' 45 Colt handloading data are not as clear on this subject as I prefer. Pressure levels are listed, but I do not know what "Cowboy Action" pressures are. Without this information, Hodgdon's information is not yet useful.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Universal and HP-38/W231.
Hodgdon lists many cowboy loads in their data.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/cowboy-action-loads
They used to have a pamphlet on Cowboy-Action loads. I'm sure if you call them they could send you one.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I load 6 gr. Trail boss under 230-250 gr rnfp bullets for CAS. You can get by with much less powder but I enjoy hearing the targets ring loud and long. No powder fuff loads for me. There is no power factor requirement in Cowboy Action like there is in Wild Bunch. Have fun!

When my Trail Boss runs out I will be switching to Red Dot to use up what I have left from my trap shooting days. I already use it in the .45 ACP with great results.

DGW1949

Hunter
RE: "I have been informed that first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs require pressures that are generally used for 45 Colt revolvers in "Cowboy Action" shooting." .....

Some "first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs" pre-date the use of smokeless powder.
If that's the case with the gun in question, I'd not be using it with anything other than black powder.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
RE: "I have been informed that first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs require pressures that are generally used for 45 Colt revolvers in "Cowboy Action" shooting." .....

Some "first generation 45 Colt Colt SAAs" pre-date the use of smokeless powder.
If that's the case with the gun in question, I'd not be using it with anything other than black powder.

Just sayin'.

True! If I had a BP SAA I don't think I would shoot anything but black in it. If it was a nice one , I would not shoot it at all.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
More info from the OP would be helpful here. If it is an older Colt and not proofed for smokeless powder, it should only be shot with black powder loads. The cutoff date is around 1900. Smokeless proofed Colts should be safe to use with any standard level load. What many people refer to as "cowboy" loads are often reduced powder charges and light bullets in search of reduced recoil. It is easy to run a 250 grain bullet at 1000fps without exceeding standard pressures and Colts will handle that just fine.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
For "black powder frame" Colt SAAs, I'd recommend American Pioneer Powder black powder substitute. You can load the same bullets as with smokeless (i.e. no special lubes required) and it is mild-recoiling and easy on the gun. Just load enough powder in the case to end up with about 1/16" compression after the bullet is seated.

For "smokeless frame" SAAs, 5 grains of Titegroup under a 250-255 grain bullet is a nice Cowboy Action load. (I personally run 6 grains of Titegroup under my hand-cast bullets which weigh 260 grains...it is book max, but shoots like a dream from my revolvers and my lever guns.) The main drawback to Titegroup is that the small volume of powder used in high volume cases can easily allow a double charge if the loader's attention wanders. The second downside is the report; it is pretty sharp. The big upside is its insensitivity to position within the case. The variation in velocities between powder back by the primer vs. powder up by the bullet is miniscule, whereas most fast-burning powders used in that big black powder-capacity case can show triple digit extreme spreads.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Also note that fast burning powders may give soft shooting loads, but dont take it for granted that that means they give lower preasures. Most fast powders like Trail Boss,
TiteGroup,the dot and clays powders give very sharp burning curves and actually have peak pressures greater than many of the slower burning powders.
Example, shotgun trap loads commonly have higher peak pressures than heavy field loads. The old high brass/ low brass thing that people thought was the determining factor means nothing. Look at the load data for the truth before deciding on a load.

Rook

Blackhawk
noahmercy said:
For "black powder frame" Colt SAAs, I'd recommend American Pioneer Powder black powder substitute. You can load the same bullets as with smokeless (i.e. no special lubes required) and it is mild-recoiling and easy on the gun. Just load enough powder in the case to end up with about 1/16" compression after the bullet is seated.

I used American Pioneer Powder when I was shooting SASS matches in frontier cartridge. I like it better than regular black powder. No lube and you just fill the case up like you said and leave just a little room for the bullet to compress the powder.

If you have a really old gun that you're concerned about high pressure damaging the gun you can use a pinch of foam rubber on top of the APP powder as a filler and seat the bullet on that which will reduce the pressure even more. I used an old foam rubber pillow and just pinched a piece off if but you can use just about anything as a filler. Some people used cream of wheat cereal as a filler. I would image a wad of toilet paper would do also. Just anything to keep the powder slightly compressed when the bullet is seated.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
You can probably find some info on one you'd like here...

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?PHPSESSID=g7bhefrmnkrjrhce4sl5r1vlr2&board=110.0

Get a loading manual (or 2-3) and pay attention to them.
Welcome to a real fun sport. More like a family gathering, after you get to know some folks. :)

sliclee

Single-Sixer
After reading your post, go to www.sassnet.com. That is the website for CAS. Look around for a CAS club where you live.
See whats close to you go to a shoot first. Read the web site, etc.
I don't believe anyone told you that which you scribbled. Lee