Smith & Wesson Experts? (the 28 has a new home)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SandDude

Bearcat
Thought I'd post this in the wheel gun section....

My Father & I are about to take a CCL class & he doesn't own a semi auto.

Anyways he's wanting to trade this in on a Ruger SR9 like I just purchased.

I told him I may just buy him an SR9 & keep this S&W model 28 .357 magnum Highway PatrolMan for myself?

Thought I'd ask you experts what we should expect on trade value @ the gun store.

He also has the original box & grips.......

Thanx in advance,

-$D

100_0780.jpg

100_0781.jpg

greenmachine

Bearcat
You would not get anything close to its value on a trade. You could easily sell a nice Smith like that one (probably even to me) and come out way ahead.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I agree that you wouldn't get but a pittance of that Model 28's actual
value in trade, its a pre Clinton and lawyered up model, no sintered
metal internal cheap A** parts and best of all , NO LOCK to foul up,
I'd buy your dad an SR9 for that anytime. If you do get him an SR9
that good old S&W stays in your family, to me that's important.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Buy your Dad the New plastic Ruger... keep the "REAL" Smith & Wesson. :wink:

Ski

Bearcat
I'm curious why he wouldn't want to just take the class with the Smith. I'm not aware of any particular reason for him to jump to an auto. Take the class, explore various carry options and then decide. Not that the SR9 wouldn't make a nice carry... but I believe there are better.

Cholo

Staff member
I wouldn't trade that 28! You could sell it right here for more than most anybody would trade for it. A 6" 28 was my 1st CF handgun and I still have it in pristine condition. I perfered it then and now to the 27. Mine's a 28-2 I paid about $154.50 for in '76 or 7. Yours?

I wouldn't let that one slip away unless you just don't like it.

wwb

Hunter
Note that it has a pinned barrel and the rear face of the cylinder is tight to the recoil shield.... therefore a counterbored (recessed) cylinder. Without an in-person inspection, it looks pretty darn pristine.

In my neck of the woods, that's a $500+ wheelgun. Have you ever taken it to the range and fired it? Especially single action.... they just don't make 'em like that any more. KEEP IT !!!!!

Like others have said.... take the class with the Smith, and afterwards get a carry gun if the urge strikes. Me? I'd get a 2" SP 101 or shop around for an OLD J-frame S&W.

SandDude

Bearcat
Yes, the gun is in 'pristine condition'...personally I'm in love with it!

I would love to buy it from my Dad, not sure if I can sneak it pass the wife & new baby?

The reason he wants a semi-auto is the CCL in Oklahoma states if you take the class w/ a semi you're qualified to carry a semi, revolver or single shot.

If you take the class w/ a revolver you're only qualified for a revlover & single shot.

He wants to qualifiy for everything & he doesn't use the .357 ever.

Also he owns an equally pristine S&W .44 Magnum in Nickel (Dirty Harry) that he plans to keep.

-$D

AgentV3

Bearcat
Boy that's a beautiful piece.

A Pinned and Recessed S&W in that condition with it's original grips, box, and paperwork is an heirloom. They stopped making them that way in the early '80s and you'll probably never see them that way again.

Ski

Bearcat
SandDude":29dskbbj said:
Yes, the gun is in 'pristine condition'...personally I'm in love with it!

I would love to buy it from my Dad, not sure if I can sneak it pass the wife & new baby?

The reason he wants a semi-auto is the CCL in Oklahoma states if you take the class w/ a semi you're qualified to carry a semi, revolver or single shot.

If you take the class w/ a revolver you're only qualified for a revlover & single shot.

He wants to qualifiy for everything & he doesn't use the .357 ever.

Also he owns an equally pristine S&W .44 Magnum in Nickel (Dirty Harry) that he plans to keep.

-$D

All right, then beg or borrow or rent an auto for him to use for the class. I still say there are better carry autos than the SR9 so why jump now...

Cholo

Staff member
AgentV3, might or might not be the original grips. Mine came with the standard grips and I replaced them with the Magna (?) grips the same year.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Don't sell it, but if you must then sell it on Gunbroker or try the Smith and Wesson forum. A dealer will not give you close to what it is worth. Just as an example those grips (moon cut) are selling for $150 - $250 on ebay. A recent gun sale on Gunbroker had one sell for $750.00 with out the box. If you have the original box and cleaning kit add $125.

S&W is currently producing a cheap copy with MIM parts and the internal lock for about $750 at most dealers.

Try to keep the gun as the value will continue going up.

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
I bought a model 28 -2 P&R (pinned and recessed) 4" in 99+ condition at a pawn shop for $375.00 out the door back in July. I had been looking for one for a very long time and I just about broke my hand reaching for my wallet when the owner agreed to my offer.

I have seen other's not in as good condition as what I bought or what your dad's appear to be in for anywhere from $500.00 to $700.00 without the boxes.

Go out and shoot that Smith and then decide if you want to sell it. I would almost bet next months paycheck you will want to keep it. They just don't make 'em this way anymore.

If you must sell then send me a pm and I will try to make you an offer.

Great photos!!!

Cholo

Staff member
"Just as an example those grips (moon cut) are selling for $150 - $250 on ebay."

...and they're sitting in my junk box? :shock: I need to do some cleaning!

rusty77

Bearcat
The model 28 is a great gun. "N" frame will handle any of my 357 reloads. Very accurate.

I would love to have another one.

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
SandDude said:
Thought I'd post this in the wheel gun section....

My Father & I are about to take a CCL class & he doesn't own a semi auto.

Anyways he's wanting to trade this in on a Ruger SR9 like I just purchased.

I told him I may just buy him an SR9 & keep this S&W model 28 .357 magnum Highway PatrolMan for myself?

Thought I'd ask you experts what we should expect on trade value @ the gun store.

He also has the original box & grips.......quote]

SandDude:

DO NOT trade in that beautiful S&W 28. I don't know it's manufacture date but it is a P&R meaing pinned barrel and recessed or counterbored cylinder. S&W has not made anything like that with the nice finish and fitting for decades. Other than Korth, or Colt Custom shop, no one is making guns like that these days.

You will get about 1/2 to 1/3 of its worth on trade. If I had the $ right now I would make an offer.

Please keep that revolver and get another for carry. There are a lot of experienced forum members with knowledge in the concealed carry area that can steer you in the right direction.

Please keep the gun. It will only go up, up, up in value.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Cholo":mjsfeoqi said:
"Just as an example those grips (moon cut) are selling for $150 - $250 on ebay."

...and they're sitting in my junk box? :shock: I need to do some cleaning!

Yes, factory grips are going for crazy money. I just bought a 686-3 with factory combat grips that if I sold the grips I would have only paid about $100 for the gun in 98% condition.