Smith & Wesson Experts? (the 28 has a new home)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knuckles

Buckeye
Most instructors will supply the firearm, you as the trainee just have to supply your ammo, (I shot my instructor's .38spl and 9mm Taurus guns)... however, I have heard that at least one State requires you to use only the gun you plan to CCW.

Do some asking and you'll probably be good to go with there loaner.

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
The 28 is already a collectable firearm. from you pics and discription it is easy a $500.00 plus gun. if you want to sell it go to the classified section. there are allot of Smith collectors on this forum. They just don't make them anymore. I beleive that all the model 28's are pinned and recessed. Great gun from the time that Smith really made a quality handgun.

reakin

Single-Sixer
Wow, yes, keep that fine smith and go buy a cheap POS Lorcin or Hi-Point or something just for the CCW class if you have to!

reakin

Coop

Blackhawk
That is one stunning Model 28. Please keep it in the family.

I just transferred my beloved Model 19-5 to my youngest son. I am sure it will get passed down to my grandsons/granddaughters.

Coop

oregon73

Blackhawk
For some reason I've always liked the Model 28. Yours is the nicest example I've ever seen. Keep it. Even if you need to buy it from your dad and hide it from the wife and kids. One day that gun will be worth a whole lot more. And right now, I bet a gun shop would only give you fifty cents on the dollar its value, and you'd still have to give cash to walk out with an SR9. The SR9 is a very nice gun and your dad will like it, but still, that's like trading a '57 Chevy for a '06 Hyundai.

My vote is by all means keep the Smith!

Rob

Rob72

Bearcat
For an SR9...???? Man, I'm looking at the pics and thinking of offering up my Sig 239 in trade. :shock:

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if you pm'ed me... 8)

Edit to add: NO ONE in town will give you what that's worth. If you really must get cash, put it on OKShooters.com With box & papers, I suspect it would go pretty quickly at +/-$600, little slower at $700, but I don't believe you'd wait too long.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I'd just keep the Smith, you likely won't get close to what it's worth in trade. I was thinking of trading in an unfired CHP commemorative 6" Combat Magnum (M19-4) in presentation case a year or two ago. Know what it's trade in "value" was? $350! No thanks.... :roll: (BTW, that's a sweet looking 28!)

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Keep - the - Model - 28.

Good Lord, the only thing you could consider worse is trading it for a Glock (it would take a bushel basket of those).

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

You can go on and on about how much it is worth, but the truth is, it is worth whatever the buyer and seller agree to. As far as the box is concerned, yeah, they are nice to have, but most dealers don't pay any more for the box, even if the gun comes with the box, all the tools and papers it came with new. They may try to charge more for the extra goodies, but they usually won't pay more. Same with the grips. The only guys who are paying that kind of money for grips are idiots. I see those grips all the time at shows for around $40-$50.

I just picked up a Model 28-2 very similar to yours in February. Mine has a 6" barrel and service grips, not the oversized target grips like your Dad's. Mine is not quite as pristine as yours, it has a line around the cylinder, like all Smiths do if they have been shot much, and a tiny bit of holster wear on the muzzle. Other than that, it is pristine. Mine was made in 1966. I paid about $400 for mine, if I recall correctly. I saw two or three others exactly like mine the same day, ranging up to around $500. I grabbed this one because it was the best deal. That's what 28s are going for in these parts, they are great guns, but they are not particularly rare.

By the way, what dash is your Dad's? It will be on the frame inside the cylinder crane. If you post the serial number I can tell you when it was made. You will have to remove the grips to see the SN, it is at the bottom of the butt frame. Don't post the entire SN, substitute XX for the last two digits.

I was just shooting my 28 on Saturday, and I love the gun.

By all means, keep it, don't trade it on something plastic.

SandDude

Bearcat
Thanx for all the help/input guys.....

GreenMachine put the gun between 1974>77

The serial # is N2997XX

I'm trying hard to sell something on Craigslist to buy a SR9 for my Dad.

Either way I'm planing to keep the 28.....it may cost me my marriage of 13 years :lol:

-$D

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
As a guy that only owns Ruger handguns (now rifles are different story) there is no way that I would give that up for a Ruger SR9. Make him happy and give him a present. (geeze I thought I'd never say anything nice about a Smith & Wesson). :lol: :lol:

dakota1911

Buckeye
Another vote for keeping it. Maybe you can work out a time pay with your Dad, or something similar. Keep it in the family.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a couple M28's.

I advise you trying to "replace" it on the market before selling/swapping it. You'll soon find out just how hard they are to replace in similar condition!

SandDude

Bearcat
I was able to sell a VW transaxle on CraigsList to buy my Dad a SR9 in turn getting to keep this beauty for myself!

Also I had sent a link to this thread For my Dad to view.

He read through everything & mentioned to me that he was glad I had such an interest in his .357.

My Dad also said that he was very impressed by all the Honest & Sincere people that responded to this thread.

We're both gonna shoot our SR9's tommorrow to practice for our CCL class.

-$D