Small Grip Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a NIB SS .357/9 mm (made in 2019) and find that the grip is much too small. I like the prior grip size (I believe before 2005). Before I shoot this new gun, does anyone have any recommendation for an increased grip size option? If possible I don't want to buy a rubber grip, are there any good "oversized" wood or stag grips available?
If not, I might just sell it and look for an early NM stainless gun (1974 to 1978tish).

NikA

Buckeye
Is the convertible model you have a flattop? If so, I think it wears the "midframe" grip frame (XR3) with thinner grips.

If that's the case, you would have several options:
-Thicker panel or oversized XR3 grips
-Grip frame swap for XR3-RED grip frame, which should be slightly larger and have more grip options
-Buy a different convertible model. The one you reference (early NM convertible) is an expensive collector's item (maybe 300 made 40 years ago => $$$) but I believe Williams did a distributor run of a similar convertible on the full size Blackhawk frame in the past 10 years.

That said, I think most here find the midframe Blackhawk to be more reasonable for .357/9mm, so if you decide to sell, I'm sure you'll find a buyer.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah we need more specifics of which actual model you have. Assuming you do have the "SS Flat Top Blackhawk" as Nika indicates (which I agree), you need to recognize your gun is also smaller. It's built on the mid frame as are the "New Vaqueros" and 44 Spl Vaq. They all have the pre 1962 XR3 old model size grip frames.

You may not like the regular Blackhawk large frame which has the standard XR3-RED size grip , it weighs a ton!! The solution for those like you and me who want the standard XR3-RED size grip frame is to install one (or have someone do it), they interchange. It's easy and you can fit the sides to match your frame and not have to reblue, just re-polish the stainless!

I swapped the small XR3 size to my SS Single Six and put its standard XR3-RED size grip frame on my mid frame Vaquero 44 Spl.

On my mid frame Flat Top .45 Colt I even went bigger (longer) by changing to the Super Bkackhawk Hunter Model SS grip frame with round trigger guard. Now I'm happy!

I do have the flattop version and the grips are much too thin, even so I don't have a large hand. How do I tell what the grip size is (i.e. mid frame XR3 etc.)? I am familiar with the old models but this one does not have easy to read markings. I am trying to add the pictures. I hope it works, first time on this forum. Well, I can't figure it out that quickly, here is a link to google photos, it shows the inside wood grip and both sides of the grip frame. Thanks for you input.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP15WVHXy00rFM_yz55asAPtvkhsoA-prmDEYYB

NikA

Buckeye
Unfortunately, your link does not appear to work; however, I can say that the standard grip frame on the flattop models is the XR3 in all but a few cases and the recent factory grips have had their size carved into the inside of the grip panels.

NikA said:
Unfortunately, your link does not appear to work; however, I can say that the standard grip frame on the flattop models is the XR3 in all but a few cases and the recent factory grips have had their size carved into the inside of the grip panels.
I checked the link and it works on my pc, but I think it's because I am signed into my google account on this PC. I'll have to try and figure out how to post pictures on this forum.
The inside of th grip panels read: MVQB
I hope this will help to determine the grip I have. Let me know if you can tell from those letters. Thanks

NikA said:
Those are XR3/midframe grips:
https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=287461
Thank you for explaining this, I am glad I asked. Now I will have to see what grip options I have without buying another grip frame. Here is a site that seems to have addressed the issue: https://texasgrips.com/extended-grips-info/

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Here are the grips I have: XR3 midframe
Here is my solution: https://texasgrips.com/product/ruger-new-vaquero-extended-xr3-claro-walnut-with-medallions-2/
Hope this will allow me to keep that otherwise nice Blackhawk convertible.