Sm. Rifle v. Sm. Pistol primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
One of the "range gurus" noticed that I often substitute small rifle for small pistol primers whenever the fancy hits me.
He told me that he's done some experimentation, and chronographing, and that his results indicate that there is no difference between small rifle and small pistol primers except, he speculates, that the cup of the rifle primer may be harder material. I really wasn't able to comment one way or the other except to tell him that I THINK he may be correct because accuracy seems to be the same no matter which primer I use in a give handgun load and, in addition, I haven't blown myself up yet.
Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not there really is, or is not, any difference in these two primers..????

THANKS,
J.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Rifle are harder. Not a whole lot to concern yourself with unless you have tuned target gun. I shot a PPC match with mixed primers because I was out. By the end of the course I got real good at double actioning the cylinder about 3 cycles to try and get all my shots in.

NikA

Buckeye
I believe at one time there was significant evidence that CCI 550 and 400 were the same product in slightly different packaging. There may be some slight brisance ("power") differences between regular small pistol and regular small rifle primers, which IME do not affect normal mid-range loads.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info. I have subbed Mag rifle primers for standard in 30/06 and all worked well. But I always load on the light side. If pistol primers are not as hard could you get punctured primers if you use them in a rifle? The pin strike on my Mauser 98 is much stronger than any revolver. Might get FTF loading rifle in a light strike pistol. -- Slight drift. With the shortage of primers I remember some people reloading/charging used primers. I do NOT want to do this but knowing shortages will continue or come again This is a skill I would like to know. Any info on this?

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
Rifle primers handle much higher pressures. If you use a pistol primer in a rifle cartridge you could have a primer burst and the charge come back in your face.
If you use a rifle primer in a pistol you could have light primer strikes.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I have subbed Mag rifle primers for standard in 30/06 and all worked well. But I always load on the light side. If pistol primers are not as hard could you get punctured primers if you use them in a rifle? The pin strike on my Mauser 98 is much stronger than any revolver. Might get FTF loading rifle in a light strike pistol. -- Slight drift. With the shortage of primers I remember some people reloading/charging used primers. I do NOT want to do this but knowing shortages will continue or come again This is a skill I would like to know. Any info on this?
Somewhere I stored the info......... They were using strike anywhere match heads to create the primer mix.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
That's what I thought or Cap Gun caps? Also there is a compound for priming .22 rimfire. That might work.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks for the replies.... I'm using the rifle primers in pistol cartridges (and not vice versa).... Typically use light charges to limit recoil so I'll just continue the practice. I have lots of sm rifle primers by comparison to stash of sm pistol primers...
Thanks again for your thoughts and info. p.s. I have no info, or desire to re-load used primers..! I should have enough to get me through this fake US shortage....p.p.s. Reports on other forums of members traveling in So. Africa, visiting large gun shops and finding tens of thousands of primers on the shelves.... The fake shortage appears to be only here in the US where there is money to pay for the scalpers prices.

J.

NikA

Buckeye
Rifle primers handle much higher pressures. If you use a pistol primer in a rifle cartridge you could have a primer burst and the charge come back in your face.
CCI magnum small pistol primers and small rifle primers have (or at least had, last time I researched) the same primer cup thickness and therefore the same pressure rating. Can't speak to other brands, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them interchangeably in my own usage.

Not a concern with large rifle primers since they are dimensionally different.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
According to Tech Support at CCI, small pistol magnum and standard small rifle are exactly the same.

Federal uses the same compound in their small pistol magnum and standard small rifle, but in smaller charge, while the cup thickness is different.

Winchester says theirs is entirely different compounds and cups.

Hopefully this helps.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
Now I aint no expert but some td me that Mag primers don't burn hotter per se but longer indeed. Thus slow burning spherical ball powders and large loads of powder(ie weatherby) are the perfect match for magnum primers . That is why alot of the larger revolver loads use either Large rifle Magnum primers or Large pistol Primers . I personally use Magnum primers with all my WW296 and H110 in my 460 and I am loading 40 grains and above . Just my 2 cents . I am always willing to learn so feel free to chime in .

Johnnu2

Hunter
UPDATE, I was in a local book/magazine store and reading the latest issue of Handloader. Lo and Behold, there was an article entitled a "primer on primers" which seemed to agree with the fact that we can exchange small rifle primers in small pistol loads. There were a lot of bits of additional substitutes but I didn't buy it (when I can read it for free)... but I got what I needed to satisfy my question.

J.

This is a post I made in Feb 2021 and I repost again due to the continuance of this discussion:

Lots of things could be considered "relatively safe" under field expedient circumstances. I don't think we're at that level YET but hard to say what the next 4 years will bring. Knowing and understanding the limitations of the expedients would be paramount to ensuring relatively safe use. Also the condition and/or built in features of the firearm would have a bearing on the safety. A pierced primer in some guns would be an all-round bad day for the shooter.

Johnnu2

Hunter
This is a post I made in Feb 2021 and I repost again due to the continuance of this discussion:

Lots of things could be considered "relatively safe" under field expedient circumstances. I don't think we're at that level YET but hard to say what the next 4 years will bring. Knowing and understanding the limitations of the expedients would be paramount to ensuring relatively safe use. Also the condition and/or built in features of the firearm would have a bearing on the safety. A pierced primer in some guns would be an all-round bad day for the shooter.
AGREE 100%

I was just referencing an article in Handloader magazine for those seeking additional info/speculation.

J.