Sling stud

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Have not taken a look at any of them ,whats on there now??? any pictures?? usually the MInis have the cast piece for the sling strap on the bottom for the regular series and off to the side for the factory folder..........

always thought the Harris 'Bi Pod' utilized the hole in the stud for the sling swivel on the gas block as mentioned above.............so you say the series 580 has NO sling swivel???? :unsure:

Last edited:

DickTater

Bearcat
Hello I don't have permissions yet to create my own thread and need to get a few more comments made before I can.
I just bought a Ruger Wrangler and I am trying to find a Ruger Buckeye Special convertible...but my question is about my old 38-40 Winchester Model 92 (1896 make). It has a split butt-stock that I want to repair. I was assured by a gunsmith that the gun isn't worth thousands and thousands of dollars, and I am not going to destroy it's value by fixing the stock. I can take it back into him for the screw removal (below) if all else fails.

The bottom tang has two small screws which, I believe, go straight up into the wood stock. They may have been backed out during the first attempts to fix the stock, but maybe not. Somebody taped it up before I was born...that tape was still good and holding for more than 50 years!

Anyways I cannot back the tang screws out...worried that if I try much harder I will strip the slot head.
Does anyone have clever tricks they use if an original screw won't budge after 60-127 years? WD-40? Heat from a soldering iron? Give it a good rap? Spells or incantations?

Last edited:

DickTater

Bearcat
Got the screws out. To my surprise they weren't screws that went up into the wood, but thru the tang and one holds the hammer spring and the other, I suspect, helps tension the spring---adjustable?

Screenshot 2023-05-18 082606.jpg

DickTater

Bearcat
So I learned something new, never had a rifle apart and certainly never removed a stock. I probably didn't have to take these screws out at all to remove the stock. So while I work on the repairing the stock, I was able to re-assemble the spring-screws so I don't lose them

DickTater

Bearcat
I am certain many of you have advanced skills working on guns. I have no special tools, no good workbench that is gun-friendly, nor good vices/equipment for holding gun parts.
But as I tried to beef those screws out under the lever, I spied and decided to use two canoe-roof-carrier foam pads...they worked great. And one piece each can hold a separate part.

I would like to put a sling on this carbine, possibly, but sure don't want to drill into the stock. It was split and probably right where I would have to drill. That old black tape you see under the lever was at least 55 years old. Not sure what kind of tape they had back then...kinda like electrical tape today but it had some cloth in it and had done a very good job.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-22 075947.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-22 075947.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230522_081922.jpg
    20230522_081922.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1-Screenshot 2023-05-22 085433.jpg
    1-Screenshot 2023-05-22 085433.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
Black tape with "some cloth" in it was known as 'friction tape'. It used to be quite common but I don't see it around these days.

DGW

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Might be hockey tape for taping the stick blade. Should be available at a store that sells hockey sticks (maybe the Pro shop if you have a hockey rink nearby) if you need some, or of course online…