Sling Shot mod for Mk III 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

The Mark III 22/45 is by far the most used pistol in my safe. I bought it when I turned 21 and I've used it as a great learning tool to teach a new individual how to shoot and use a pistol safely.

The only thing that bugs me is that I can't Slingshot the bolt like the rest of the pistols I own. I've removed the detent ball and spring illustrated in the online tutorial (http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detai ... .htm#ssmod). After reassembling the pistol the bolt will not sling shot a round. The next step was to strip the frame and clean the frame of gunk that could prevent the bolt catch from falling freely. After doing so I reassembled the pieces (minus the detent ball and spring of course). To my disappointment I still can not slingshot a round in the chamber.

I can't find other people with the same problem so I thought I should post my problem here and see if anyone has tried the slingshot mod and find it doesn't work.

Thanks

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
stingray5mm":2m343l1c said:
Hi Everyone,

The Mark III 22/45 is by far the most used pistol in my safe. I bought it when I turned 21 and I've used it as a great learning tool to teach a new individual how to shoot and use a pistol safely.

The only thing that bugs me is that I can't Slingshot the bolt like the rest of the pistols I own. I've removed the detent ball and spring illustrated in the online tutorial (http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detai ... .htm#ssmod). After reassembling the pistol the bolt will not sling shot a round. The next step was to strip the frame and clean the frame of gunk that could prevent the bolt catch from falling freely. After doing so I reassembled the pieces (minus the detent ball and spring of course). To my disappointment I still can not slingshot a round in the chamber.

I can't find other people with the same problem so I thought I should post my problem here and see if anyone has tried the slingshot mod and find it doesn't work.

Thanks

I have two MK III 22/45s and both have the "slingshot" mod but only one works. I have done the "clean out" and even filed a little but to no avail. :cry:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
It's the above-mentioned mod which enables you to pull back the bolt and release it without holding down the bolt release. It's another one of the differences between the MK II and the MK III.

Milly

Bearcat
Jacksonville, Il. The nexus of the universe
The magazine must trip the safety mechanism. With the mag out of the gun the bolt cycles as described. Put the magazine back in and the bolt stops when pulled back and can only be released with the bolt release button. The mag must line something up when it is inserted. Never paid attention to that when I had mine apart of deep cleaning.

zenbiker

Bearcat
Funny...I have the same problem but occasionally it does slingshot...Maybe one in ten tries

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Huh, never found it that big a hassle or hinderance to have to depress the bolt release myself.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":26lk188y said:
Huh, never found it that big a hassle or hinderance to have to depress the bolt release myself.

I totally agree with you, but it has generated pages of posts over on RFC..... They certainly seem to own a ton of Ruger .22's but don't seem happy with any of them. Sometimes I think there must be a Volksquarton (sp?) salesman working full time to drum up business over there....

BlkHawk73

Hunter
tomiswho":2ltn2bzp said:
BlkHawk73":2ltn2bzp said:

I totally agree with you, but it has generated pages of posts over on RFC..... They certainly seem to own a ton of Ruger .22's but don't seem happy with any of them. Sometimes I think there must be a Volksquarton (sp?) salesman working full time to drum up business over there....

Having tried some of the Vol stuff, I'll gladly pass on most of what they brand.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
tomiswho":389pahw8 said:
BlkHawk73":389pahw8 said:

Having tried some of the Vol stuff, I'll gladly pass on most of what they brand.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
zenbiker":2zo4ld2n said:
Funny...I have the same problem but occasionally it does slingshot...Maybe one in ten tries

As does mine.
I don't find it a hassle to use the bolt release but it is more convenient to not have to.
As for rimfirecentral.com and Volquartsen, I find both to be good. I have never had any issues with Volquartsen products and nothing but good experiences and helpful people on rimfirecentral.com.
Obviously, YMMV. :mrgreen: