Slide take down P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
So, I haven't ever completely torn down my P95. Has anyone completely disassembled the slide on a P95 to clean the firing pin channel? If so, do you leave the allen screw in the rear sight when removing it? I can see the firing pin block assembly can't be removed until the rear sight is, but will I sheer it if I remove the allen screw?

Any pointers?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu2, Yes, take the allen lock screw "completely" out before tapping the rear sight out! Be sure and "control" the firing pin block and it's spring as you move the sight out!.................Dick :wink:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
How much force is needed to remove the rear sight?

I tried tapping it with a covered mallet but it didn't budge. I didn't force it because I read on another forum that someone had sheered a block on a different firearm because they forced it and had taken out the set screw.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu2, "If" you don't see anything "protruding" up into the allen screw "hole" then your good to go to drive out the sight. Drive it out from right to left. Use a non-maring brass or neoprene drift punch to drift the sight out. The spring loaded "plunger" presses up against the "bottom" of the sight so there is nothing to be "sheared" off unless you try to drive the sight back "in" on reassembly without depressing the "plunger"!......................Dick :wink: