SKELETON STOCKED RUGERS?? Good,bad,ugly??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

7025Jack

Bearcat
I have a skeleton stocked (zytel) 7mm rem mag that starts with the serial # 780. It seems very accurate.

I like it because it is resilient and it fits me! I am interested in the same gun in a 243.

I found one that starts with the serial 785.

I wanted some info on these guns and thought I would seek advice from the experts. When did they start and stop making these guns? Are there any rules of thumb on them? good ones, bad ones? better years to buy? do they hold consistant accuracy? Am I wise to buy one of these vs a new Abolt or xbolt that is bedded and floated? any and all info is appreciated

pisgah

Buckeye
Those skeleton-stocked guns elicit odd responses. Personally, I am neutral -- they ain't purty to me, but I see them as highly utilitarian, and the half-dozen examples I've shot were all admirably accurate. I have a friend who owns those half-dozen rifles, and he thinks they are absolutely the most gorgeous things he's ever seen; and, another friend who practically goes pale and starts heaving when he sees one -- they are hideous to him.

To each his own. My buddy who owns all those rifles has offered me one of them, a .270, at a decent price, and I may take him up on it, but I won't be entering it in any beauty contests.

stanimals2

Bearcat
I own a 30/06 that had one notice I say had, I put a hogue over molded pillar bedded stock on mine. The things I have noticed are 1 they are to light and have no butt pad worth a crap and they kick like a mule because of it. 2 they are not stiff enough to support a larger caliber. 3 the area the action mates to seems to compress making it hard to hols a decent pattern. My 06 went from 4 inch groups to MOA at 100 after I changed the stock and changed the trigger. That said dummy me just bought another skeleton stock Ruger tonight, a new in the box 77/17 blued for 385.00 we will see how it does but odds are it will sport a new stock to. I already stoned the trigger and tweeked the spring a bit. Cant wait to try it out if the white death ever quits falling and we get above 30 someday :lol:

Stan

aramp78

Bearcat
I have two. One is a 7 mag like yours that I acquired in 1995. I believe that they were made for about 3-4 years in the mid 90's. I like mine quite a bit. It points better to me because it is front heavy as compared to the wood stock. I also have a 243 that I acquired used about 2 years ago. I keep my eyes open for them. I would like to have one more in either 260 Rem, 308 or 280 Rem. I saw that all these calibers were all catalouged. I have a 1997 Ruger Catalouge and they are in it. In contrast to the Zytel stocked M77 MKII I also have two Ruger No. 1's.

Back on the 7 mag. I actually feel like it kicks less than some other 7 mags I have shot. I have loaded some 162 gr Hornady up a bit over max in the loading manual and it shots them very well - around 1.25 inch.

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
Got a 243win SS Shoots great, Also got a M77Mll RPL 7mm/08 SS with wood inserts that I'm setting up to Shoot. also have a 257,7mm/08,264,35,6.5x55 7.63x39 with Blued BBLs. I Like them!

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I had one in .243. Great shooter. I just never warmed up to the caliber even though it was a one holer with factory Federal 70 and 100 grain silver box Classic ammo. Unreal how well it shot that stuff.

Trigger was gritty but still, it was accurate!
The look of the thing wasnt the issue for me.

onesureshot

Bearcat
I had a 7mm years ago, but sold it for a few reasons.

To me it felt like it kicked harder than my buddies Rem700 7mm because of the narrow butt = less surface area to distribute the recoil.

I also loathed the sling loops. No matter how I tried to lube them, they would squeek like crazy while hiking, plus it made removing the sling that much harder.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
I like them. They aren't pretty in the classic sense but they are beautiful in the functional sense. Sort of like Forrest Gump and 'beauty is as beauty does'.
Anyway I have three, a 7.62x39, a .260, and a .270. TnTnTn

ducktail

Bearcat
I have one in 308 and 223. After putting in a timney trigger and finding the right loads, they are great. I had one in 300 mag (before any of those short mags) and I just got tired of the recoil. Took a while to work out the flinch I developed.

I use the 223 on ears shots on pigs and deer. I have not been let down but I respect the range of the cartridge. It really is something to watch a pig just flop over.

7025Jack

Bearcat
I am currently in the market for the following cals: 223,243,260.Please email or pm if interested in selling. They can shoot well if time is spent devloping a load I suppose......People either like or hate them.

Given the many choices in the current new gun market, there may not be much reason to dilly-dally! But.......

I happen to like the looks!

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have them in .223, .30-06, and .338Mag. Just bought another in .30-06. All of mine have factory sights. Sighted rifles are much harder to find.

That stock that sold for $300 on eBay was a short action stock. Fewer of them were made than the long-action rifles. I'm sure Chet would have some idea of quantities. There's another on on there right now that is at $250 or so. The long-action stocks seem to be selling in the $50-$100 range.

7025Jack

Bearcat
I am looking for the complete guns 223, 243, 260...not just the stocks.

The person that paid that much for the stock on ebay is NUTS! IMHO the guns in the larger calibers have to be FUN to shoot! NOT! Although I do not feel much kick from my 7mm in a hunting situation, just would not want to sit at the range with it for very long...

The numbers of each manufactured would certainly be an interesting information for reference though. I know that my 7mm was manufactured in 1991. I have been in contact with a fellow with one for sale made in 1998. So there is 8 years of manufacture for sure. I see several 77/22 and 77/17 for sale now in SS with skeleton stocks.

I bought a new stainless .308 without sights back in 95 when that's what Ruger had to offer. Frankley it was pretty cool looking 15 years ago. I also have a 10/22 with matching stock and would like to have a matching 77/22 if I can find one that I can afford.

I do agree that they are a hunting rifle and the recoil can be somewhat brutal if shot too much.

bcp

Bearcat
Has anyone weighed both styles of Ruger 77 synthetic stock, for the same action length and barrel weight?

Bruce

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Had a 7mag boat paddle, killed all 3 deer I shot at. Like them a lot, just a plain no worries hunter.