Skeleton Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CAPTDASH

Bearcat
I need a good skeleton stock that will fit a 22-250. Can anyone point me in the direction of one? If you look at the picture of my rifles, you will see the one I have has been coated with a textured coating. It is really nice, but I want the stock in original condition. I would trade the one I have, if someone wanted to work out a swap. Thanks

wolfee

Blackhawk
I am sure you can make one fit, and shoot well. But, I would pass along my try at converting my 77Mk II, 257 Roberts from walnut to Ruger Zytel skeleton. I called Ruger and asked if it was a no-gunsmithing, drop in fit. They replied it was not, and did not reccomend the switch. In fact, they declined to sell me the stock. The person I talked to pointed out that the walnut stock was fitted with 30 pounds of positive pressure on the barrel. I don't recall if they noted positive pressure with the Zytel, or I may have it backwards and the Zytel had the barrel pressure. Anyway, there seemed to be a difference and they convinced me not to proceed. btw, my reason for wanting the Zytel is because the most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a77Mk II Zytel .223. First three shots out of the box, with white box ammo, was .4" center to center with only a 6X scope. The only sub half inch group I have ever shot in 40+ years of fooling around with guns.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Cap'n, I didn't read your original post carefully. I guess you ALREADY have a synthetic on it, and my comments about wood > plastic don't apply.

CAPTDASH

Bearcat
wolfee":2oks2yks said:
Cap'n, I didn't read your original post carefully. I guess you ALREADY have a synthetic on it, and my comments about wood > plastic don't apply.

That's right, in already have the skeleton stock. It just has been altered from the original condition, and I want to keep my rifle original.

CAPTDASH

Bearcat
Silent Sam":93jzkbnm said:
Can it be stripped?

I don't see why it couldn't. It is not a spray paint. It is a textured coating. The stock had to be scuffed a bit to make this stuff stick good. It is really nice, and if I had an extra stock, I would just keep it. I just want an original stock.