Skeeter Skelton's very first article

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
In the 1980 Shooting Times compilation, "Skeeter Skelton on Handguns," our favorite author noted that "It all started with the 9mm" and that "...his first column assignment in 1966 on the 9mm opened the door."

I've always wanted to score a copy of that original issue with Skeeter's very first article. I searched for it often on Ebay. I didn't actually know which particular monthly issue contained Skeeter's 9mm story. Eventually, I put together a list of which issues did not contain the elusive initial writing of the .44 Special aficionado.

Then, about a week and a half ago, I found an Ebay auction for all twelve issues of Shooting Times from 1966. I won the auction for $13.51 and the magazines arrived yesterday in excellent condition. So many thanks to whoever kept them so nice for the last 44 years (isn't THAT a coincidence?)!

Skeeter018.jpg

The cover of the July 1966 issue showcases a gorgeous pair of Colt double action revolvers, a Python and a Diamondback. This is the issue with Skeeter Skelton's very first published article.

Skeeter019.jpg

"Handguns by Skeeter Skelton" is on page 6 where Skeeter starts off mentioning his Uncle's Luger.

Skeeter020.jpg

Interestingly, the very next issue (August 1966) is Skeeter's very first published article on the the .44 Special (titled "The .44 Special, A Reappraisal" and the byline is Charles A. Skelton).

Of course, there are many classic articles by Jordan, Askins, and many others from the old days. Not a bad score for under $15.

I feel almost complete by having added these original magazines to my collection of publications by my all time favorite gun writer....

-Steve

Otony

Blackhawk
I remember the issue and remember the article. Pretty good write up on the Y.O. ranch too, which flat amazed my 11 year old mind. African animals in the U.S. of A.? Whodathunk?

The first two paragraphs of the Skeeter article formed images in my mind that I still carry to this day. Thanks for the memories!

KTM

Single-Sixer
Very cool find!

I do have to ask why you placed a S&W over the cover with those Colts...

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
KTM: That's my S&W 624, the gun Skeeter convinced S&W to build after he told them the only way to improve the .44 Special Model 24 was to make it in stainless steel. I had mine engraved as a Skeeter Skelton tribute and it includes his Bar-T cattle brand on the backstrap.

SW624g002.jpg

SW624008.jpg

SW624g006.jpg

I also had my Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Blackhawk engraved to match it:

Skeeter004.jpg

Skeeter009.jpg

Skeeter008.jpg

Skeeter013.jpg

KTM

Single-Sixer
mm6mm6,

Yes I know all that, I've read the other threads with those BEAUTIFUL guns but was just wondering why you chose that issue with the pair of Colts to lay it over? :)

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Ohhhhh, I get your question now. Sorry about that! That July '66 issue with the two Colts is the issue that contains Skeeter's very first published article!

KTM

Single-Sixer
At first glance, I thought you were trying to pass the S&W off as a Python... :shock: :oops:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I always thought his first ST story was a writeup of the Colt Diamondback. Which issue is that?

contender

Ruger Guru
Great post. I too was a big fan of Skeeter. I met him back in 1982 at SHOT. I still have a pic of him in my stuff. Nice quiet gentleman, I always thought he seemed very humble to me.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Snake45: The Diamondback article is in the September 1966 issue....

Contender: Let's see that pic! Scan it and share it!

Snake45

Hawkeye
mm6mm6":2is3hqiz said:
Snake45: The Diamondback article is in the September 1966 issue....
Yeah, I have that issue...I recognized the cover in your pic.

Back in the mid to late '70s, I bought a lot of '60s gun rags at gun shows for 25c apiece. Got most of the Guns & Ammos back to about 1964, also quite a few Guns and a few Shooting Times including that one.

IMHO, the early '70s was The Golden Age of Gun Magazines, most especially the stuff Skeeter was doing in ST in that era.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
flatgate, I don't think many people "got" the recent Venturino/Taffin "argument" about the .44 Special. Venturino even held his nose in a photo as if the .44 Special "stunk." A clear reference to the old Askins/Jordan revolver banter.

A lotta folks aren't old enough to have experienced those old "feuds" such as the Askins/Jordan thing, the similar Skelton/Jordan exchanges, and the classic Keith/O'Connor series. Elmer, of course, was dead serious while Jack sorta played the thing for effect.

Good stuff.

:)

Latest posts