Size difference super redhawk against GP or Blackhawk.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hi Guys,

How does a 7.5" super redhawk compare in size to 6" GP vs. 6.5" blackhawk 357?

Is this super redhawk a big monster compared to the GP or Blackhawk? I'm leaning toward the super-redhawk in 44 mag, but still concerned if it will be too big.

My 6.5" stainless blackhawk 357 is big and heavy at 48 ounces. Wondering if the super redhawk would even be bigger than that.

Thanks in advance!

Rclark

Hunter
The SRH is bigger . I sold mine for that very reason. It was becoming a safe queen as it hardly ever went with me into the field or to the gun club. If you are a hunter and like to hunt with a handgun (scoped or iron sights)... this gun will do that. A specialized revolver... But for day to day carry gun ... forget it. An across the chest holster was really the only convenient way of hauling it around. As far as shooting it, mine was a joy to shoot and accurate.... I bought a nice Vaquero .45 in its place. Already have shot it more and carried it more places than all the years I had the SRH. Anyway that is my opinion of the SRH. Your mileage may vary!

If you are looking for a carry on hip gun (a woods gun), look to the Super Black Hawk in .44mag or a 50th Anniversary .44mag . Barrel length is your preference.

Here is some more info on it plus the weight ...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_super_redhawk.htm

oldgoat46

Bearcat
Depends on what you want to do with it. I have all of the revolvers mentioned. the Super Redhawk is a monster and if it wern't for the one trip I make a year fishing in bear country I wouldn't own it. If I could only keep one of them it would have to be the GP 100 with 6" barrel. the Black hawk is only slightly bigger but not as versitile.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Kinda like comparing a Clydesdale to a Quarter Horse. Them Supers RHs is big. Although I do miss mine(a 9.5). Definitely purpose built, does not lend well to an apples to apples comparison. JMHO! :D

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I truly enjoy shooting my GP-100, both in 6" and 4". Also enjoy my stainless 6.5" blackhawk in 357. As far as weight is concerned, my blackhawk is heavy, but tames the recoil well.

I've been toying with the idea of a 44 mag or 45 LC. Initially looking into the 4" redhawk but from reading these forums it appears its grip dimension may not be the most ergonomic. And I can't even imagine shooting a 44 mag through a 4" revo.

The SRH looks like it may dampen recoil but yeah, I was concerned if it was too big. I don't plan to use it for hunting. Just target shooting when I want that power.

I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 160#. I'm a small-framed guy and even wondering if I can handle a 44 mag. Have probs w/ tendinitis and carpal tunnel, but I handle mid-range 357 loads without a problem. Wondering if a standard load of 44 mag on a revo with the right weight and ergonomics would allow me to enjoy that power without aggravating my injuries.

From a comparison standpoint I feel my blackhawk recoils a tad sharper than my 6" GP. I wonder if this comparison will hold true to a super-blackhawk vs. super redhawk.

wwb

Hunter
G. Freeman":mt1zx5f5 said:
....... I don't plan to use it for hunting. Just target shooting when I want that power.......

You will likely get differing opinions, but the SRH is pretty much a dedicated hunting handgun. If you're just gonna punch paper, the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk is the way to go.