SIXSHOT PEACH COBBLER

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Made up a #12 dutch oven full of peach cobbler today, it turned out really nice :lol: my wife & I both had seconds as we knew the kids & grandkids were about to show up. :wink:
These are quite easy to make, either indoors or out, I made this one inside because its still pretty hot, later on I'll start baking outside using the charcoal.
Takes about 15 minutes to throw together & about 1 hour baking time.

100_2174.jpg

This #12 dutch oven is a commemorative of the Lewis & Clark expedition, they used cast iron for their cooking also. Thats Sacejewea on the lid.

100_2175.jpg

Just plop a big goober of ice cream on top & jump back, here comes the wolves!

100_2176.jpg

Dick

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Just WOW! If I lived anywhere near Idaho, I'd be standing on your front porch right now! I can smell that sweet, sugary goodness.

Edirty692

Bearcat
Peach cobbler my favorite. :D I need to be next on the adoptin list. Thanks for all the great stories and recipes Dick. Eric

contender

Ruger Guru
Keep it up,,, just keep it up & I'll be banging on your door with a suitcase full of pistols,, and a backpack full of ammo & a bedroll.
Dutch oven peach cobbler is one of my favorites,, and the ice cream is perfect.

Locally we are having our annual "Apple Festival" and everything is apples. I just ate some homemade apple bread,, and yesterday I had some homemade fried apple pies. MMMMMmmmmmmm GGGGoooooDDDD!

sixshot

Buckeye
OK boys here's the recipe, made my first dutch oven cobbler in the mid 70's for a group of boy scouts & never found anything better than that first one. If you use charcoal briquettes use several more on the lid than on the bottom, it will depend on how big an oven you are using. On a #12 oven use maybe 12 & on the top try 16-18, you are looking for about 400 degrees & it will take 45-50 minutes to bake. Indoors just set the temp for 400 degrees, then set your timer.
You want to avoid hot spots on your oven using charcoal so rotate your lid a quarter turn every few minutes & rotate your oven an equal amount the other way.
Melt a quarter pound stick of real butter in your dutch oven. Using a large bowl add 2 cups flour with 2 cups sugar, add 1 tsp salt & a tbl spoon of baking powder (not soda) next slowly blend in about 1 1/2 cups of milk, use enough milk the batter isn't thick/stiff.
When your batter is well mixed pour it over the melted butter, pour in slowly but don't stir it into your butter (it will mix well when it bubbles)
We like to use home canned peaches but any will work, we slice them or dice them. I like to use 2 1/2 cups of peaches, you can experiment here. Add them by spooning them over your batter, just spoon them as even as you can, no need to mix them. We add a spoon full of cinnamon, again, experiment with the cinnamon.
I put the lid on if cooking indoors for about 15 minutes then take it off so your cobbler browns well (400 degrees) check it with a toothpick to make sure its done.
If baking outdoors you leave the lid on from start to finish, just be sure & rotate lid & oven from time to time. Your oven will be pre heated from melting the butter.
Again, its important to jump back as the neighbors will be climbing over the fence. :wink:

Dick

Arnold Stuart

Bearcat
Dick: My mouth is a watering, send me a piece of that pie air express. Just copied your recipe and will try it out soon. Don't you know a piece of that hot cobbler pie will go real good this winter when the snow has one down in the dumps. Thanks for the recipe.

Arnold

Jman8182

Bearcat
Yes, what sixshot said....

or if your lazy like me:

Line your dutch oven with foil (easier cleanup).
Select two cans of your favorite pie filling and empty the contents into you dutch oven.
Pour a box of Jiffy cake mix (white or yellow) over the top.
Take a stick of butter and cover the top with slices.
I add brown suger and cook as directed.

We used to do this every time we went camping. Met a lot of friends that way.

Pete

sixshot

Buckeye
Forgot, its actually easier to bake one of these with charcoal, the reason is you can get a lot of heat through the lid if you use 16-20 briquettes on top, depending on the size of your oven. You want more heat on top than on the bottom. When baking indoors you have an even heat so you need to back the temp down to about 350 degrees instead of 400. Use the 400 degrees outside, hope I made this more clear.

Dick

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
sixshot":21rve7pa said:
Forgot, its actually easier to bake one of these with charcoal, the reason is you can get a lot of heat through the lid if you use 16-20 briquettes on top, depending on the size of your oven. You want more heat on top than on the bottom. When baking indoors you have an even heat so you need to back the temp down to about 350 degrees instead of 400. Use the 400 degrees outside, hope I made this more clear.

Dick
Thanks for the recipe Dick. And for this little tidbit above, I don't have a way to use coals at home. I started out at 400 degrees for 15 minutes before I saw this and turned it down to 350, so the top was ever so slightly under done and the bottom is crunchy (I like it crunchy). Instead of canned I used three fresh peaches. I think I should have thrown in a fourth for good measure. I'm trying not to eat the whole thing tonight.
This is full of WIN.
DSCF0405.jpg

sixshot

Buckeye
redsouthpaw,

Sorry, I had forgotten about the heat, if you bake them at 400 indoors you will burn it before the center is done. I need to post a photo of my outdoor "stove top" its easy that way with charcoal & takes up very little room.
Your cobbler looks like it turned out great, the next one will be perfect, takes about an hour or just over at 350 degrees.

Arnold, we will be coming through Cedar City about the last day of november. Maybe see you then.

Dick

Fulldraw™

Bearcat
Here's a recipe I use in elk hunting camp and it's so easy.

Easy Dutch Oven Cobbler

Ingredients:

(1) Stick of butter
(1) Box of dry cake yellow mix
(1) Can of your favorite pie filling
(1) 12 oz. can of cream or orange soda

Heat a 10 or 12" Dutch oven over a full bed of coals until the butter sizzles. Coat the walls of the oven with the butter, then drop the remaining butter onto the oven bottom.

Pour and spoon pie filling into the oven. Sprinkle the box of cake mix over the pie filling. Then pour the can of cream soda over the oven contents.

Cover with oven lid. Position you coals according to your oven size and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Optional variation: During the last 5 minutes of cooking time you can lift the lid and sprinkle some brown sugar and cinnamon over the cobbler for a sweet topping.

If you use a chocolate cake mix substitute a can of Coke for the cream soda.

Make sure you serve this desert goodie with your favorite ice cream!

Enjoy!

Latest posts