SIXSHOT DUTCH OVEN COOKING

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I just busted a gut laughing!!!!!! :D :D :D
And us poor old hillbilly NC boys do know a thing or two about trout. (Both wild & stockers.)
Every trip I've ever done west,, when a fishing rod was used,,, I managed to feed whatever sized crowd we had fresh trout.
Heck,, even in New Mexico, on Philmont,,, mid-summer after tons of boys had fished an area called "Fish Camp." I gathered my guys,, told them,, lets get on the trail. When one of them commented on wanting to fish,, I told him,, you can fish here & just fish,, or you can go with me & we'll fish & CATCH trout. Well, about a mile away,, up the creek from all the activity,, I told them,, it's time. Seven guys,,, 22 trout later we packed up & moved onto our camp. After a great dinner,,, we PROPERLY took care of all remains,,, and were settling down for the evening. All of a sudden we got a surprise visit by a camp ranger who warned us about a "bad" bear nearby that had caused some problems a few hours earlier to another group. (It got into their food & packs.) Another group of "city scouts" wanted to stay with us that night as we had a nice fire,, and all. I promptly finished up the evening,, and we never had any bear issues. Nor did we have any problems the other 2 nights we supplemented our freeze-dried dinners with fresh wild trout.
Moral;,,,,,,, Some of us poor old easterners can hang with y'all quite well, and of course all of y'all know I'm only teasing about the dynamite.
I've truly enjoyed this post,,, (and Jim's other one about the fishing.)

I actually get a big kick around here during the trout season opener. On opening day,, you almost have to bring your own rock to stand on. I usually don't get there as early as some folks,, and I promptly wade out into the water to one of my favorite spots. Then when I start,, it almost never fails that I manage to pull one of the big Browns out right from under the noses of everyone. I've been cussed more than once for this. See, almost everyone uses the same baits, corn, worms, crickets, & maybe a few spinners. Well, I've never seen anyone use what I use and it's killer on big brown trout. There's something about dragging in a 3-5 lb 20"+ trout when everyone else is pulling in 10"-15" rainbows,,,,,,,!!!! Done it too many times to count!! Heck,, once I did this,, and as I went to land the big trout,, I leaned over to get him,,, and spotted a nice gold (14K) bracelet in the water. It was a very good day!

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
Ok, you done showed us how to do up the bread, Sir...

Now, bout them spuds? :wink: Please? :D

WOW is all I can think to say, Sixshot! My mouth is watering as I type this...you not only cook like a pro, but your presentation rocks! Thanks for sharing!

(I vote these for the cookbook, BTW!!! :D )

sixshot

Buckeye
1RugerFan_33

My recipe for the dutch oven spuds is in the first post.

Here's a loaf of sour dough bread I baked yesterday in a #12 oven, this bread is lighter with a better texture than the first loaf posted, although both are wonderful eating! :wink:

100_2168.jpg

This loaf is somewhat smaller than my regular bread, equals about 1 1/2- 2 loaves.

100_2169.jpg

Goes goooodddd with some homemade strawberry jam!

100_2170.jpg

Later today I'll be baking a peach cobbler in the dutch oven.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
OOOHHHH sourdough & strawberry jam! My mom used to make a killer sourdough bread. She did it at her country convienence store,,, and the stories I could tell about the folks who walked in smelling it etc.
I have plenty of Strawberry jam here as I made a bunch this past spring,,, (along with some blueberry jam as well.)
Peach cobbler,,, one of my favorites in a dutch oven,,,!

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
I used to go fishing and quail hunting a lot with some guys that did a lot of Dutch oven cooking and I learned a lot from them. We'd cut either mesquite or gambel oak for a fire and use coals from it, and if we were at a place like Lake Powell, where you couldn't get any good wood, we'd take it with us from home.
One meal we always made, whether hunting or fishing, was Dutch oven meat loaf with brown gravy, smashed taters and bisquits, a meal to die for. We'd also fry fish, make upside down cakes, quail and dumplings and cobblers.
The meat loaf receipe was about 2 lbs of good lean beaf or elk, 3/4's of a pound of Jimmy Dean Sausage, chopped up onion, diced green chili (not the canned kind, but real fresh hatch chili's), couple of eggs, crushed club (not soda) crackers, garlic salt and lemon pepper, mix it up good and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Make the gravy from the drippings, Argo Corn Starch, some brown gravy mix if you want a lot of gravy (we always did), and the smashed taters from real taters, not instant. I do it at home in the oven still with a deep cast iron skillet with lid (it fits the oven better then my 12" Dutch oven) and it turns out pretty well; people I've fed it to, who hated meat loaf, have asked for seconds when made this way.
HH

contender

Ruger Guru
Dupont spinners,,,, I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!! :D
That's like a name we use for our spearguns when we go diving & fishing; We call it "using our silver tipped lizards!"
I know of a guy who has a 8 lb smallmouth that was "caught" on a silver tipped lizard and he had it mounted. He also took a green plastic worn,,with double spinner blades,, and painted the tail silver. Hung it from the SM basses mouth on display. I used to give him the dickens about it,, but it got old as he'd never be converted.
But in NC, freshwater,, catfish & carp are legal to spearfish for.. ! In the ocean,,, a lot more species that are delicious.