sixshot-1 callshot-5

Help Support Ruger Forum:

callshot

Blackhawk
We'll today was cold and clear. I hooked up with sixshot and we broke my new pickup truck in with a bunny hopper hunt. As usual Dick got the first shot. He never says much like that is how to do it. He is modest most of the time. He gives me raspberries over my driving, spellen and shooting. He didn't say anything today except I don't take very good pictures when he is holding an animal and a gun. It is really hard to take a good picture of some people. He will probably put his on here when he gets around to it. My first shot was at 24 yards and I missed it and two follow up shots. He was using a 32 Maggie and I was using my new 327 Federal single seven. I am afraid of guns and don't get comfortable until I get upset at myself and it takes a few shots to get that way. In a couple of minutes after I has walked left and right to see if he was hiding behind the sagebrush and seeing nothing I was just about getting pithed off at myself and got in the truck. Just then the wabbit came out again in the same place. I got out and missed again but the follow shot up unzipped him

We drove around some more. Not very good mileage going that slow. The bunnies are hard to see. They blend in with the snow, rocks, and sagebrush. We had fresh snow so we could see plenty of tracks. My second wabbit took me 3 shots but got him. With the 115 grain hollow point and 13 grains on H-110 and shooting somewhat into the setting sun it was hard to get a good sight picture but I was starting to get the hang of it. The third bunny was an easier shot but I forgot to put my ear muffs on and I missed again but not by as much because the follow up shot gutted him good. After walking down and getting them my pant legs were covered with burrs. My shorter leg didn't have quite as many as my longer pant leg. My rubber overshoes were full of snow and it was getting colder. My trigger finger is missing the first joint and gets cold easier. It makes for a good excuse every time I need one, even in the summer. We drove a short way and I saw another one. I hit it with one shot at 33 yards.

I went into the brier patch again and picked it up. More snow in my boots and stickers on my overhauls and gloves. I was having fun now!!!! We were loosing daylight and about ready to head for home when Dick spotted another one just above where the last one had met his maker. He said to shoot so I did. 1 shot and we could see him dragging his hind quarters behind the sagebrush. I had to go into the brier patch again. You know the story by now. When I got to where he was there was fur all over the snow for about a yard in a big circle and blood on the snow. It drug itself about six feet and down a hole. I poked stick in the hole for about two feet and couldn't feel the bottom or the bunny. That one mist have died after getting into the hole or be will freeze to death tonight after loosing a lot of fur and no back legs. It was measured at 46 yards. All shots by Dick and myself were off hand.

I took another picture of the gun and the hollow point bullet that was gas checked and powder coated. Notice the new grips I'm building. This isn't the first rabbit killed with a hand gun. Last spring I killed one with the .41 mag FA with 250 grain WFN. That didn't do as much damage as this little 115 grain hollow point.

I didn't get this posted until the next day. I have most of the stickers out of my pants and gloves by now. My trigger finger is starting to thaw out and I needed to cook some supper. This was another fun day in the worlds largest play ground with Dick and Steve

sixshot

Buckeye
These might be the first cottontails taken with the new 327 single seven, even it they weren't it was a fun day & that little hollow point is nasty, it was like shooting a pillow when it hit those cotton hoppers.
Old Callshot is a very good handgun shooter but I usually have to get under his skin a little bit about that thing on the end of the barrel (front sight) before he settles down & starts htting & then look out, he's bad news! Two of his shots were big boy shots, when you are

whacking bunnies at 33 yds & 46 yds offhand with iron sights you are doing something right, he had a grin on his face like he had just spent the night at the Playboy mansion.
His bullets need a little tweeking as some of them were just a tad long for the cylinder, he's crimping over the driving band so they will work in his gun but they
are very accurate as 5 dead bunnies prove. He's off just a bit though, I got 2 shots, one bunny & one bird, offhand at just a whisker over 50 yds, very unlucky bird considering the way my eyes are now.
These new 327's with the 7 1/2" barrel are going to be a small game nightmare here in Idaho, can't wait until the ground squirrels & rock chucks poke their heads out in 3 months.

Dick

don44

Hunter
Nice story and the bunnies look like they've had it! Good shootin' !

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh,, more "Tales from Soda!" I love it. Surely callshot didn't outshoot old sixshot? The sun must have been in his eyes!
I too have the Single-Seven with the 7-1/2" bbl. So far, it's looking good. Still gotta play with a few more bullets to figure out which one it prefers! I'm bringing it & my Blackhawk 327 next June,,,,! Look out ground squirrels!

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Looks like a good time in Idaho....bet there will be a lot of disappointed kids this Easter, tho the one that lost his legs might make the rounds in a wheelchair! :lol: :lol: :lol: Here comes Peter Cottontail, wheeling down the bunny trail.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :roll:

Fried rabbit is awesome!

And remember Steve, it's alright to prick your finger.....but, not the other way around. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Great story and pics too!! Not much can beat friends on the hunt together. Y'all are so very blessed to live where you live. But I'm sure you know that much better than me. Gosh, Callshot you are like a sniper with that Single Seven!! Keep up the good work. Happy New Year, fellows,
hs

32shooter

Blackhawk
Good shooting. That looks like a lot of fun. Did you powder coat those bullets yourself?? I have ben thinking about ordering some unlubed .32 bullets and powder coating them. Not sure it is going to be worth the extra effort. May just get some and do some testing.

callshot

Blackhawk
Yes I did powder coat them myself, right after I cast them. I was mentored by Dick on all things handgun related. He is the kind of a teacher that likes to get the students ( me ) out doing and he gets a lot of enjoyment seeing them succeed.