Site adjustment on a new Mark 4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

choatecav

Bearcat
Hope y'all can help me with this.

Just purchased a new Ruger Mark IV Hunter for plinking and target shooting. As most of you know, the M-4 has adjustable rear sights. The directions for adjustment in the owners manual is a bit lacking, to say the least. I have adjusted the rear sights as far as I can and it still shoots a tad high. I don't know if the screw on the front sights is for adjustment or removal and don't want to screw with it too much.

Any ideas if the front sight can be adjusted or what I may be doing wrong.

thanks
Mark

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I haven't laid my hands on a MKIV yet,,,, but if it's at all like the others,,, the front sight screw is not an adjusting screw. It's the attachment screw.
The cheapest & easiest fix is to CAREFULLY file off part of the rear sight blade. Or, have a gunsmith do it. A little goes a long way.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I'm just curious as to what "hold" you're using. Are you using a 6 O'Clock hold, whereby the sights are on the target at 6 O'Clock, or are you holding your sights on dead center to the bullseye.

To adjust the rear sight, you want to move the blade in the same direction you want bullet impact to go. Here's an acronym to help you remember, FORS , which represents direction: Front Opposite, Rear Same.

choatecav

Bearcat
Thanks to both of you for your comments and yes, if I were to try that adjustment, I would take it to a gunsmith.
As to the "hold" (excellent question) I am holding at a 6:00 point and it still shoots high.

M

SATCOM

Blackhawk
choatecav,

Thanks for bring up the Standard Ruger Mark IV, as I had not heard of it. After all these years Ruger has made field stripping and reassembly simple. Folks will still over clean this gun but no more taking bag of parts to LGS for reassembly.

Neither OP nor RF members addressed critical information; Point of impact elevation change is a CW or CCW rotation of the rear site elevation screw, which lowers/raises rear sight. This makes shooter to raise or lower barrel to get a correct sight picture again. Per MK IV manual Models equipped with adjustable sights: Turning the top (elevation) sight adjustment screw clockwise lowers the impact of the shot.

The advice provided by contender is correct if choatecav has made maximum clockwise adjustments. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but how many times have us shooters adjusted sights wrong? (Would like to hear from rugerguy on this.)

Again welcome to the RF choatecav and have you made maximum clockwise adjustments until screw stops moving?

SATCOM

choatecav

Bearcat
Good comments and thanks.
Yes, I have made the maximum clockwise adjustments and the impact is still high.

edlmann

Blackhawk
choatecav said:
I have adjusted the rear sights as far as I can and it still shoots a tad high.
contender said:
The cheapest & easiest fix is to CAREFULLY file off part of the rear sight blade. Or, have a gunsmith do it. A little goes a long way.
If he's shooting high, he needs a taller front sight, not a shorter one. There may be an issue with his rear sight preventing it from going down far enough.