Single Six with Micro sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave King

Bearcat
I was out browsing today and came across a Single Six with Micro sights, initially I thought they may be factory installed but a call to Ruger Support (great folks by the way) stated the shipping document showed nothing other than a Single Six, nothing special.

It has been used but for being a Feb. 1956 gun it is in sound condition and I believe it'll shoot well.

I'm looking forward to getting this little gun out in the squirrel woods.

I'm going to need to start buying more leather to correctly carry these things.

Any additional info on these little Single Sixes and these type sights is appreciated.

ss-22lr-33772-l.jpg

ss-22lr-33772-r.jpg

ss-22lr-33772-rs-micro.jpg

ss-22lr-33772-fs-micro.jpg

Dave King

Bearcat
I don't know about the loading gate, I'll get a look at it once I have it back in my hands (next week).

I didn't, and still don't, know much about this little gun, I spied it hanging on a hook at a gun shop I frequent. ($265.00) Initially I thought it was a leaverite but once I mentally reeled back some imaged of Single Sixes I recalled seeing a picture of one with similar sights, I couldn't resist finding out more and the only way to do so was to buy the little revolver. I also recall some discussion about the barrels on the early model Single Six as a .222. vice .224 bore and I wanted to try it for precision (~accuracy).

I don't know if Ruger does conversions on these Single Sixes but this one is original in its lockwork.

As to the loading gate, i don't know if it made a trip back to Ruger for a loading gate swap or if the newer loading gate is even a Ruger original item... I'll see next week. If it is correct with a flat gate I may try to find one to make it more period correct if I decide to keep the thing for squirrel hunting.

It has had some surface rust but it'll be a hunter I believe, it is possible that I could have it refinished once I talk to a local smith.

Here's the only detailed image of the loading gate I have at present.

ss-22lr-33772-lg.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Oh, what a neat find. A Single-Six owner fitted with Micro Sights and a Premier Weapons Company loading gate. Toss on the "period correct" fake stag grips........and the Dewey Trigger Stop.......

133940937.jpg

Premier Weapons Company even tried "Chrome Plated" loading gates in an attempt to increase sales. I believe this occurred after Ruger began shipping Single-Sixes with their own "round gate".

There are variations of the Micro Front Sight, including the square post style and a ramped style. For those whom don't know, the Micro Sight slides over the existing Ruger sight and is held in place by a small pin.

Pimp My Gun, '50's style! :D

flatgate

Dave King

Bearcat
That looks like the correct stuff for the changeout...

My thanks for the information and solving the (to me) mystery.

The ERH and ejector button on this Sigle Six appear to be the same as on my Type 1 flattop Blackhawk 357. I guess I got the complete Micro Sight and just the Premier loading gate makeover.

I didn't know the front sight was a "slip on", it must have a bit of crud (WD40 probably) sealing the gap.

I'd like to fit a flat gate to it at some point, soon as I find one.

americal

Hunter
Dave--- really A great find 8) 8) I collect only those type guns :) hard to find you got real lucky :D keep it just like it is great shooters :!: :!:

yes, a very common 'gunshop makeover" was the way to go back in them days with NO adjustable sights to be had from the factory......
yes, that is the Premiere gate, we picked one last week that also has the 'Premiere' gate on it and it was also shipped jan 1956, near to your gun.....last one we had with Micro sights we sent off to one of the Forum members......................

here is the Jan 56 gun, needs ONLY a set of them Micro sights and it would be a 'match'.......

rssflatgateset.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Dave King":1g47ckku said:

My feeling is that if Ruger did experiment with adjustable sights on their Single-Six (which I do believe they did), it would have happened very early in Single-Six history. It only took them about 2,500 pistols in '49 to start thinking of the natural evolution of an adjustable sight auto (the prototype was s/n 3815...taken right off the regular production line of the Standard auto...and remember s/n's 0661 through 1999 weren't made).

Next, it is my opinion that if Ruger did play around with an adj. sight Single-Six right away, it should have progressed to a point where Ruger didn't need to just slide the Micro front over the top of the Ruger sight and secure it with a set screw (see the pic). I believe Ruger would have sweat that sight right to the barrel to start with....saving a couple steps in putting Ruger's half-moon blade on.

Somebody needs to find early flatgate era Single-Six without the set screw in the front sight.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
120873523.jpg

The "set" screw is actually the retaining screw for the interchangeable front sight blades.

The sight came with a little pin that is supposed to be installed by the user. A hole needs to be drilled in the sight base that permits the pin to secure the Micro sight to the original Ruger sight blade.

You'll note that my pictured Micro Sight equipped RSS does NOT have the retaining pin. It's still in my parts box. The New In Bag Micro Sight Kit, shown in the above image, does indeed have the little pin within the plastic bag. It's just above the word Micro.......

flatgate

americal

Hunter
Right Flatgate :) if you go back and look at my picture of the micro with the red bird-- you will see the 2 retaining pins :) I have several with the two retaining pins installed, very small in size :!: I have one Jeff Munnell tried to buy in 1982 have the letter he wrote the owner of the gun at the time :) it is a RSS4X never have figured why someone would go to the trouble to install these aftermarket sights and not shoot the gun & are like new --need my daughter to post more photos--Allen Danials in montgomery Al. helped me find several of these guns he is a great friend :!: PAGE 10 in Gallery section :)

Latest posts