Single six trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Does anyone know if there is a replacement trigger or somewhere that the weapon could be sent to have the trigger lightened up? The NMSS I have has a trigger that, at best ,sucks compared to my OMSS.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, like any good gun,, they can all benefit from an action job. Just replacing the trigger may help a little,, but a good action job by any competent gunsmith will help a bunch. I have a pair of New Vaqueros that are the slickest actioned NM's I own. They came to me with action jobs,, and are like two pieces of glass laid together with teflon grease between the glass.
It can be done.
(And yes,, the NM's suck compared to an OM.)

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
From the factory NM triggers suck compared to OMs. But they don't have to. They can be spectacular. If all you want to do is lighten the pull, all you need to do is bend the trigger spring. It takes maybe 5 minutes (do a search on the subject). The easier option is to do a poor boys trigger job. If you want the thing to be spectacular, you need to have the sear step on the hammer taken down to about 0.012 to 0.015". That takes a bit more work, but it's very doable.

Jayhawkhuntclub":3dce9unx said:
From the factory NM triggers suck compared to OMs. But they don't have to. They can be spectacular. If all you want to do is lighten the pull, all you need to do is bend the trigger spring. It takes maybe 5 minutes (do a search on the subject). The easier option is to do a poor boys trigger job. If you want the thing to be spectacular, you need to have the sear step on the hammer taken down to about 0.012 to 0.015". That takes a bit more work, but it's very doable.

Saw that option in Jerry Kuhnhausen's Ruger Revolvers manual. Wondered just how much work it would be. Not sure I want to get into stoning the sear. You cannot put back what you may take too much of off. I was a helicopter mechanic; that doesn't qualify me to be a gunsmith. 8)

Cholo

Staff member
You only mentioned lightening up the trigger. Jayhawkhuntclub's advice to simply bend the trigger spring just right ought to do wonders by itself and you could do it today! I guess it doesn't have the dreaded creep. You might want to try a cheap spring kit from Wolff's for the main and trigger spring. I've not used that brand, but it seems the way to go. Back in the day I used Bullseye spring kits and never had a misfire.

They're so easy to change (alter) even a helicopter mechanic could do it :wink:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have had great success just clipping one leg of the trigger return spring. Unhook it from the pin, and clip as close to the frame as you can with diagonal cutters. Takes 5 minutes, and you can always toss a new spring in there if you decide to sell it and are concerned about it. This does not alter the hammer fall at all, and makes a huge difference in the trigger pull. This is a "first thing" on most of my Ruger single actions; rimfire and centerfire.

:twisted: