Single -Six serial # ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Like always, I'm a little confused.
The gun in question is an old model single six serial number 810969. The numbers listed on Ruger.com indicate it is a Magnum SingleSix . The side of the frame is marked like any other single six and it came to me with a L.R. cylinder (which means nothing as Bubba lives ).
Should it be marked Magnum ?
Also the sequence listed on Ruger.com show a huge leap between 1968 and 1969 with this number being kind of in the middle.
Am I reading this right?

street

Hunter
I bet your gun is a 6 1/2 in bl. gun. If it is then the cat. number is RSSM. Which stands for Ruger Single-Six Magnum. Now after all of this being said this doesn't mean that your gun is a Magnum only it only means that Ruger used RSSM for all 6 1/2 in. guns. I think that Ruger listed all 6 1/2 in guns in the Magnum only list even though not all 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes are Magnum only.

A little history. When Ruger started making the 6 1/2 in guns they only made them as a Magnum only and as such they started stamping the frames as such. Those Magnum marked frames ran from serial number 300,000 to about 340,000. And some where toward the upper end of the serial numbers they started intermixing the convertibles in with the magnum only guns. The frames were still marked "Magnum". After about serial number 340,000 they started marking the frames Ruger Single Six only instead of Ruger Single-Six Win..22 RF Magnum. Just about all of these guns were convertibles, but they also still made a few Mag. only guns but the frames were only marked Ruger .22 Cal. Single-Six. These guns are very rare, and if your gun will letter from Ruger as a Mag. only then you have a very rare Ruger.

All 6 1/2 in. Old model Single-Sixes will have a catalog number starting with RSSM. They will add an R for rubber grips or W for walnut grips or X for convertibles.

Again this only applies if your gun is a "6 1/2" in. bl.

hittman

Staff member
Ruger.com is not the best resource for info.

Folks need RENE for the straight scoop.

You can also request a formal letter from Ruger for more details. In my experience, it's worth it most of the time.

hittman

Staff member
RENE indicates it's from 1968. I'd guess it's missing its Magnum cylinder; having been made originally as a "convertible".

street

Hunter
needsmostuff said:
street said:
Again this only applies if your gun is a "6 1/2" in. bl.

Oops. This one is a 5 1/2" gun . Where does that take me to. ?
As it's a 5 1/2 in. bl. gun then it is most likely a convertible. Although it could be a single cylinder .22 LR only gun. Ruger made a few 5 1/2 in Single-Sixes with a .22 LR only cylinder in the Old Model Single-Sixes. Check the front of the cylinder. Most of the single cylinder .22 LR guns "WILL NOT" have the last 3 digits scratched on the front of the cylinder. Almost all didn't but there has been one gun found that letters from Ruger as a single cylinder .22LR gun that has the last 3 digits of the serial number scratched on the front of the cylinder. If there is one then there could be more. A letter from Ruger is a must. A single cylinder 5 1/2 in Single-Six will have a catalog number RSS5W. The convertibles will have a cat. # RSS5X.

The single cylinder 22LR RSS5W is somewhat rare as most guns were convertibles. As stated above a letter from Ruger is a must.