Single Six serial # question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Because they got that info from Wilson's book and he was wrong too!

They list the fixed sight numbers in the 3xxxxx, 4xxxxx, and 8xxxxx range in the Magnum Model section.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PS-SNH-RE-SSixMM.html

Use the RENE guide, it is more accurate.

After 199999, they made a few in the 2xxxxx Lightweight range, then started numbering the all fixed sight guns in the 3xxxxx range (which was formerly used for only the Magnum guns, but by this point, even the 6.5" gun was usually a convertible, so the Magnum frame rollmark changed to the normal .22 Cal mark). Then came the 4xxxxx series, a short error run in the 5xxxxx range that were shipped as duplicates since that was for the Super Single Six, then on to 8xxxxx before finally going to the 20- prefix.

You can gather that Ruger had reserved 6xxxxx and 7xxxxx for the Supers, but before they got there, GCA68 mandated that a serial number could be used for one and only one gun, so Ruger complied by bringing out the prefix system in 1969.

as 'WmG' says, and I still cannot figure out "why" that they ( RUger) do NOT "correct" their very own site...makes one wonder how good any of the other info may be,,,,,,,,,duh
not rocket science and any good ,old fashioned "key punch" person could redo it it, in a heart-beat.......now that is one of the reasons I do NOT trust computers............pencil and paper worked for us............ :roll:

flatgate

Hawkeye
rugerguy":32lbvek8 said:
now that is one of the reasons I do NOT trust computers

:D

Computers are only as smart as their operator, Dan!

The s/n list in Wilson's Book and on the SR&Co. Website is sadly "in error" due to, I'm sure, an oversight by whomever was compiling the info.

All they had to do was ask over here..........

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Be glad to help 'em if somebody will ask!
I'm glad they at least got their website updated in the last six months. At least now there's quite a few (not all) updates to their distributor specials on the site, their dates of manufacture now go up to 2009 and their "Upcoming Events" page no longer lists the upcoming date for the 2008 NRA show!
Chet15

Yes, its the info ( data) that is installed ( posted) and we take on its own merits...BUT may be wrong, misleading or a "fake" much as the pictures that are often sent ( seen) that are doctored ( photo shopped) etc, and again, a total "falsehood" thus , does cause concern ( untrust) of the computer ingeneral, as well as all the "sickos" out there that ply their nasty deeds to any and all, again, "trust"??? sorry, I know the girls ( folks) in the "old key punch" did their jobs and they I trusted, as we could go and talk with them "directly" as to problems, info.......
The "lack" of care, updates, mis-info, by ANY , including Ruger ,goes right back to this "trust" as well.........
what I "see" on the screen, may NOT really be the "real thing"....and this "operator" has pretty good eyes..........just MY .02 cents

Thank you, Chet15, I can count on YOUR listing, for the most part ( you too are "there" to answer ANY question or correction....) :wink: