Single Six RSSM Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22lrfan

Bearcat
Need some help. Were on vacation so I don't have access to any of my reference books. I visited a pawn shop this morning and found a 6 1/2" Single Six with a 501xxx serial #. According to the Ruger website this would be a 1968 Magnum model. There were no indication on the frame, barrel or cylinder that it was a magnum. I looked at the box and the model number is RSSM and the serial number on the box matches the gun. It has been fired but is in 95%+ condition. It has a barely visible turn line. I've got a '56 Flatgate and a couple of '58 Single Sixes but have no experience with magnums. Is it normal for the RSSM to not be marked with magnum and should it have a LR cylinder? It's marked $450. Being a pawn shop I know this is negotiable. What would be the top price for one of these? Since I'm out of state there will be $30 shipping plus a $20 transfer fee at my local FFL.

Hi in a short answer no it would not be marked magnum and would have both cylinders as for price with it missing one cylinder that would be high to me and if it has been converted even less unless the original parts came with it JMO

Gramps

hittman

Staff member
I suppose in a perfect world that gun is $100 too high once you add in the transfer fees and consider 1 cylinder is missing, etc.

But that gun is almost old enough to draw Social Security! And has the box.

Recently s/n D502xxx, 99% with both cylinders and owners manual sold for $650 if that helps. Granted, there's an add for the "D" serial but .....

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE,, a Super Single-Six will have the serial number of 501xxx made in 1964. It would be a SC6 model. These is ONE known SC6M magnum with a serial number of 555430.
There have been SC models shipped in RSSM boxes,, AND there have been folks add a different serial number to a box.
I'd suspect the box has been added & re-marked at some point.

Did it have the adjustable sights? The SC series did. RSSM models didn't. The RSSM models highest serial number with a 5 was 500421,, which is lower than the 501xxx you saw. And that one was dated 1968.

So, if it has adjustable sights,, it'll be a SC model in a mis-marked box,, and missing the .22 LR cylinder.

22lrfan

Bearcat
Rear sight was adjustable for windage only. It did have a D prefix. Is this significant? The serial number was written on the end of the box on the opposite end from the label. I'm not sure the dealer realizes that it is a magnum. It wasn't written on the tag.

22lrfan

Bearcat
Thanks for all the info. I figured out what the D prefix means. I think the serial number on the box also had the D but can't remember. I can't believe I didn't take a bunch of photos. Being at a pawn shop I figured the price was high. Just trying to figure out what a reasonable offer would be. I'm going to try to get back over there and look at it again but it's an hour drive from our hotel.

22lrfan

Bearcat
I called the shop and had him check a couple of things. The serial # is on the side of the box and does have the D. The cylinder that's in it is the LR one. The magnum cylinder is missing.

hittman

Staff member
To heck with the "M" part ..... it's the "D" part that makes the gun!!

GET IT! :!:

street

Hunter
A little history! When the Super Single Six came out in 1964 It started at serial number 400001 and went to 400005. Then they jumped to serial number 500,000. At that time the single sixes were at 380,0xx. The single sixes continued to 499,999 in 1968. When the serial numbering machine turned over to 500,000 the person running the machine forgot that 4 years ago they had already serial numbered the Super-Single-Six with the same serial numbers. It went up to serial number 505140 before they caught it. Some of the guns had already gotten out of the factory and the ones that had not were stamped with a D in front of the serial number.

One thing to remember all 6 1/2 in. Single-Sixes the boxes were marked "RSSM and .22 W.M.R. Caliber Revolver", even if the frames were stamped .22LR. All of these 6 1/2 in. "D" guns should be convertibles. I don't think any Mag. only guns have lettered.

All information comes from the Red Eagle News!

hittman

Staff member
Good info street and investing in RENE won't crack your 401(k) guys!

22lrfan

Bearcat
It arrived at the FFL and I was finally able to pick it up. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Is the serial number on the box the normal way the factory marked them?

ruger_10.jpg

ruger_11.jpg

ruger_14.jpg

ruger_12.jpg

ruger_13.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Great gun to own.
Yes, that's the normal way we see the s/n on the box.

pete44ru

Hunter
RSuyOQBl.jpg

My RSSM-W (walnut grips) was born in 1960 (SN 309xxx), with only a magnum cylinder - and so marked on the LH side of the cylinder frame.

ZZVfJRil.jpg

A little after that time, so many RSSM owners were having LR cylinders fitted, that Ruger added a convertible to the production line (in 1961, un-officially, later catalogued w/o the magnum marking)

Just a couple of years ago, I also fit the paradigm of the early 1960's, and got a LR cylinder fitted at Ruger.

That, of course, led me to casing it and adding B-B-Que grip panels..... :mrgreen:

qQ1Qraql.jpg