Single Six restoration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John K

Bearcat
I bought a used Single six, nothing special and it shoots well. THe grip frame is very scratched.
Can I, or should I, bead blast and blue/duracoat type finish?
Thanks

hillmillenia

Bearcat
John,
I'm no smith but I'm restoring an old single six too and the grip frame seems to be some kind of paint as opposed to anodized...anyway, I glass bead blasted mine and painted with Alumihide ll...five coats, using a heat gun between coats and seems to be tough as nails. It has worked for me on several Aluminum gun parts as well as a steel shotgun barrel with great results! good luck.
Hill

flatgate

Hawkeye
This thread needs pictures....

(I lost my cute image, darn it......)

flatgate

PS Found it!

worthless.gif

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
Just a quickie photo off my cell phone (since Mr. FlatGate likes to look 8) ) but here is a 'restored' Single-Six by Mr. Hamilton Bowen. Custom barrel, dovetail front sight, refinished grip frame, cased receiver frame and hammer, and HOW ABOUT THOSE STAG GRIPS!?!

BowenSS.jpg

Tuned for CCI Stingers . . . scary accurate. What a blast it is - probably my personal favorite sidearm.

John K - I would give it a try. I think you're on the right track. Depending on the depth of scratches may not even need to bead blast - just a little sanding.

americal

Hunter
WOW :!: :!: what a nice pair of grips 8) nice custom to :) those grips are perfect for that gun---- color tone just right :!:

John K

Bearcat
OK OK!!
Here are some pics.
prior.jpg

I got this for $125.00
scratch.jpg

scratches
now.jpg

where it is now. I think I'll have it either bead or sand blasted.
Any input is welcome !

americal

Hunter
JK--you could polish the grip frame to silver & the shroud the same :) it will look good esp. with a light colored set of stag grips like Sack Peterson makes 8) 8) look on reccuring items below classified section. OVEN-STOVE cleaner will take finish off both parts in mins.

contender

Ruger Guru
Many folks have rough grip frames like that. Some choose to strip the black off & polish it shiny. Other strip it and recoat it with some form of quality spray coating offered by Brownells. Not a hard job,, just requires time & patience.
The older hard black rubber grips that used to be on Rugers won't fit that frame. Those grips fit the XR3 gripframe,, while you have a much newer gripframe.

flatgate

Hawkeye
John K":1m9fstir said:
I would like to find some of the older black, rubber, I think Ruger grips.

That'll be tough since Ruger never made them to fit your grip frame. The early Single-Sixes and Blackhawks used the XR-3 grip frame which emulates the Colt SAA sized and shape. Those black grips were only made for the XR-3.

In June/July of '62 the REDesigned XR3-RED grip frame emerged. It was simply a "truncated" Super Blackhawk grip frame, shortened on both ends to make a "more comfortable" grip. (Many folks lament that change but I'm a big fan of the slightly larger XR3-RED size!)

Now days, the current crop of lock equipped New Model Single-Sixes and New Model Blackhawks do indeed have some black grips that just might work very well for you. I do not have any experience with such a swap but I bet the guys here can offer some valuable information.

flatgate

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Dang, wish I could find a better photo than this, my camera's on the blink, but that's what I did with the FT frame I put on my OM SS6. Gave it just enough fine sandblast to get the old finish off and give it some "tooth". Then painted with an epoxy paint that turned out too "black and shiney" but presentable.....FWIW, Dennis
Snake002.jpg

hutchman

Blackhawk
The new plastic grips from a Single Six or a Blackhawk should fit nicely and give the look of the old hard rubber Ruger Grips. However, the grips from an Ann. Model or a New Vaquero will not work.

If you post a "Want to Buy" add in the classifieds, someone will be able to help you.

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
I have 3 XR3-RED Single Sixes with the new locking model black plastic grips on them. The fit like gloves, are very slim and look just "capitol".

I switched out the original wood from a 50th anniversary that I shoot regularly and a pair of pre-warning 5.5 adjustable sight models that I favor.

These are nice looking, great fitting grips. I'm glad Ruger decided to offer these again.

my 2 cents,
Shorty

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I bought an old Single Six a couple of years ago that mechanically was excellent and other than a little holster wear at the tip of the barrel was excellent. The ejector rod housing and grip frame however were very worn. I sent those parts only to Ruger and they refinished them for about $35 if I recall. The bad news is that I was expecting anodizing like the original and they came back with the current powder coating or whatever it is finish. Still, they made the gun look much better and the finish seems very tough. You might look into that before all the labor of sanding or blasting and the cost of AlumaHyde or a similar bake on finish.