Single Six problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nmead23

Bearcat
My "new" (meaning new to me but not new) Single Six has patterns like a shotgun and I was hit by a small piece of lead when standing neer a friend who was shooting it.

I think it is called the cylinder latch that sticks up from the bottom of the frame? That seems loose, has some side to side play so I was wondering if replacing that with one one of the oversized ones from Power Custom might fix my problem. Anyone who can help me figure this out I would sure appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Josh

flatgate

Hawkeye
A very thorough cleaning of the bore and forcing cone is in order. Next, a close inspection of the cylinder/barrel alignment is needed. Peering down the bore of the obviously unloaded gun can sometimes reveal a misalignment.

Installation of the "oversize" cylinder latch may help or it may compound the problem. Carefull fitting would likely be required.

First thing I'd do would be to get the bore and forcing cone extra clean and shoot it again.....

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
I have good luck with this old trick:

Get a copper scouring pad from your grocery store in the cleaning supplies department. Chore Boy or Chore Girl brand. Wrap a little bit of that pad around your bronze bore brush, dip that in Hoppe's No.9 and push it through the bore, completely into the cylinder window of the cylinder frame then pull it back out. I'll then take an aerosol can of some sort of solvent or even plain ol' WD-40 and clean the brush/Chore Boy tool. Repeat the procedure a couple of times then clean the bore with a solvent soaked swab then a few dry patches.

YMMV,

flatgate

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
flatgate said:
Get a copper scouring pad from your grocery store in the cleaning supplies department. Chore Boy or Chore Girl brand.

flatgate
If one cannot find those brands but see what looks to be a copper scrubber, be sure to put a magnet to it first. Many off brands of copper scrubbers are copper plated steel. That is NOT something I wish to run up and down my bore!

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
KLR650 said:
If you have loose parts you better call Ruger or find a qualified GunSmith.
I agree with that, serious problems must be attended to first. Don't assume it's a serious problem at first, but if it is, deal with it immediately.

hpman66

Hunter
If it still gives you fits, you might have a gunsmith look at the muzzle/crown and see what shape it is in. A damaged crown can cause bad groups too. That is the reason that it is recommended to clean a bore from the rear(breach/breech) of a gun rather than the muzzle(when/if possible).