Single Six Price Check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dwhiteykc

Bearcat
I've been looking for a SS off and on since I was a kid, and tripped over one today in a gun shop. I don't profess to know too much about them, but this was stamped "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" or something like that - so guess it is a 1976. Model stamped as New Model Single Six, blued 7 1/2. The guy wasn't familiar with the gun, but said it had been in the shop for a while. It was in the original box, with the mag cylinder, and the original wax paper/wrapper underneath. The gun looked like if it had been fired, it was very very little. Grips/body were perfect. He was asking $375. Any advice? Better models available at better prices?

Thanks in advance.

blkhawk

Bearcat
I paid $449 plus tax for my Stainless 6 1/2 NM Single Six about a month ago. So $375 might be a wee bit on the high side for a used blued model as that's probably what a new one (blued model) is going for. But if it's really in "like new" condition go for it, no waiting for your order to come in as the pistol is already there! :mrgreen:

Cholo

Staff member
I think it's a great price! I have a '75 I wouldn't part with for the world. My guess is it's a 6 1/2" barrel though. What are you waiting for? :wink:

b3337

Bearcat
Offer them a bit less, just don't get insulting with an offer.They may take it, but if not and you like it, buy it anyway.I don't feel that is a high price with the box and like new condition.I do a couple gunshows every year and quality older firearms always get the most attention, especially if they have the box, papers, etc.You can always find a SSix, but a liberty w/box I myself haven't seen at a show in the past 10 years.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
That's a fair price for the package offered. It appears that it has most of the paperwork,, (most likely the brown bookwrap shipper isn't with it,, but if it is,,, all the better.)
That's what we call a "Liberty" model. All guns made by Ruger in 1976 were rollmarked with the Liberty saying. If NIB they only command about $50 more than one made w/o the Liberty markings.
I too would offer them a "cash deal of $350 out the door." What can they do,, say "no?" It's still a fair buy & a great gun!

dwhiteykc

Bearcat
Thanks for the fast and solid advice - I'll probably pick it up this week. He did mention he'd cover the taxes, so even if $375 is firm he's tossing me a bone!