Single Six pre-conversion parts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DWL

Bearcat
Question for the Ruger "gunsmiths". I have recently acquired a Flatgate Single Six that has had the "safety" conversion. I did not get the removed parts with the revolver. I am currently looking for a set of take out parts to un-convert the Flatgate.

My question is, when I find the parts, do they need to be fitted to the revolver. Or can a somewhat novice replace the parts?

DWL, greetings and welcome to the Forum,,,,,,,,,,,the issue or problem with any "other" parts, other than those that were ( are) fitted to THAT gun , is just that, the timing and function, operation ( safety) may be affected if not done ,using the "same" parts...........the main issue being the "pawl" ( hand) which times your guns cylinder, rotation and lockup...................we have found that as long as you use the "pawl" that is now in the gun, along with the change of parts, it works, BUT again, you must know the condition of the "parts" ( they are used most likely) hammer notches, the trigger "tip" ,that engages the hammers, notches, and to what extant they "engage" each other, again,, best to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing, there are "liabilities" involved, and are part of firearms ownership and responsibilities............yes , we know of LOTS of folks who got away with little or no effort, they should count their "luck" because over the years we have seen the OTHER side of "misfortunes", accidents ,lawsuits , etc............best to err on the side of caution 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum.

Dan's suggestions and cautions are exactly right.

Use the cyl hand (pawl as Ruger calls it) that's in the gun now. It's fitted to your cyl and it's the same part as the original, even though you'll get another hand in an original parts kit. You can shop for and buy the kit. And do you have a local smith to take the gun to who will in stall it or check it out if you install it?

Shown are the seven conversion parts (not counting the bent nail) in your gun. So a complete old model parts kit will have six; no transfer bar shown to the left of the hammer.
rugerblackhawk3579mm_04w.jpg

Factory OM disassembly/re-assembly video:

Ruger doesn't have an OM single six video so choose the video for the Old Army which has the same lock work. Video at the bottom of the list, here: http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html?vidID=005039

DWL

Bearcat
Dan and Jim, Thank you very much for your comments. I will follow them and have a local gunsmith check over the parts and have them install them.

It sure would have been better to have received the original parts with the revolver.

Thank you both.

David

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Another consideration if you are concerned with keeping the gun original as possible is the type of trigger you may get in a parts kit. There's 3 types of triggers and depending on how early your Flatgate is, it could either on of the two earliest ones. The very earliest one is a very curved, skinny trigger and the next one is slighty less curved and a little thicker. The later one is real thick and less curved, so look for a set with the right trigger. Maybe someone can put a picture of them up for you that has them handy.
HH

Cavallo58

Bearcat
I currently have one set of Pre-conversion parts for a Blackhawk .357 Magnum for sale. The gun was originally purchased by my Father and not fired much so the parts should be in excellent condition.

If you are interested in purchasing these parts (which I understand are becoming rare as Ruger no longer sends them back after a conversion), or know someone who may, please send me a return e-mail, and I can provide a list of the parts, and pictures if you desire. I have all of the paperwork from the conversion as well.

Thank you

[email protected]

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Cavallo58 said:
I currently have one set of Pre-conversion parts for a Blackhawk .357 Magnum for sale. The gun was originally purchased by my Father and not fired much so the parts should be in excellent condition.

If you are interested in purchasing these parts (which I understand are becoming rare as Ruger no longer sends them back after a conversion), or know someone who may, please send me a return e-mail, and I can provide a list of the parts, and pictures if you desire. I have all of the paperwork from the conversion as well.

Thank you

[email protected]

Ruger still returns the old parts, they belong to the owner not to Ruger