Single Six oddity

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I picked up in trade a SS Single Six. Looks to be 1977 model. Guy said it was the first gun his wife bought for him and it was unfired. Both cylinders has the same number etched on front of them. But they are not the serial number of the gun. Gun came in RST4 red box. But had the gun's serial number wrote in crayon or chalk on the side of box. I've seen enough boxes with serial numbers on the side that this one looks original. Just a factory mishap?

Do I understand correctly . . . you have a Single-Six revolver in an RST4 Standard Pistol box bearing the serial number of the revolver?

And the revolver's cylinders have matching serial numbers but not that of the revolver?

Interesting mix.

But, I will tell you as an old model collector your best friend was a china marking pencil......that's what the serial numbers were marked with.

there were ONLY two red/white boxes ( hinged) made for the new models starting in 1973 a short one marked RST-4 and th e longer one ,marked BN-36 they put a "end label" over the pre-printed white lettering for the gun that fit in the closest sized box, and wrote the serial numbers on the front , long side of the boxes,,,,these labels fell off the boxes ALL the time...if it fits in the box and the serial is white china marked on the front ,side, then thats the box it came in...

Thanks, Coogs and Dan!

Knowledge like this, and the sharing of that knowledge, iswhat make this Forum such a great place!

I already knew "of" both of these facts, but couldn't remember the details on the boxes. I didn't even have to go looking…

Have no idea where my post went and the picture,,,so again excuse the "past", so
there were ONLY two red/white boxes ( hinged) made for the new models starting in 1973 a short one marked RST-4 and th e longer one ,marked BN-36 they put a "end label" over the pre-printed white lettering for the gun that fit in the closest sized box, and wrote the serial numbers on the front , long side of the boxes,,,,these labels fell off the boxes ALL the time...if it fits in the box and the serial is white china marked on the front ,side, then thats the box it came in...

Wha9Ayd.jpg

and you are indeed welcome Sir......

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I picked up in trade a SS Single Six. Looks to be 1977 model. Guy said it was the first gun his wife bought for him and it was unfired. Both cylinders has the same number etched on front of them. But they are not the serial number of the gun.
FYI:
You probably know that the cylinders do not have the full serial # on the front face of the cyl. Usually just the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial #. The pencil engraved #s are difficult to read. Use magnification to see the numbers. And be sure that your not trying to read the numbers up side down.