Single Six Multi Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

omalon

Bearcat
It was raining and I decided to go to the indoor range to test some different ammo in my new single six. I started off with 42 WMR's and switched to 36 LR's and ended up with 36 CB's & Colibri. The lady who was in the lane next to me was waiting in the lobby and said she wanted to see my guns. I had to explain I only had one revolver, but two cylinders and I was using 3 different types of ammo. She went on to say she was new to shooting and was having trouble getting used to her 9mm pistol and like the way the CB's & Colibri's sounded in my gun. I have to admit, I enjoyed shooting the Colibris and with the ear protection, I couldn't hear the shots being fired and they were very accurate at 25'. However, it's still a blast to shoot the WMR's in a revolver.

sounds like "normal" ...many folks get off on the 'wrong' foot when getting into the world of firearms, maybe bite off more than they can chew...get talked into things that are NOT going to work for them.....I know after running 3 gun shops over the years and fortunately my wife was "in charge" it was much easier in this respect...... she KNOWS the ways , the ins and the outs, and from her point of view it worked out pretty good...yessir, many 'macho' guys were put in their place when it came to info, ,know how and yes ,even shooting by her over the years........kinda proud of my little "half pound of dynomite...."
gotta get, use and keep, what works for YOU.........

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I messed up with my first gun...I just knew I needed a .44 Magnum and that's what I got. It didn't take long for me to decide it wasn't what I needed :p

contender

Ruger Guru
Quite often in our NRA Women On Target clinics we see a lot of ladies who got introduced to shooting the "wrong" way. It's a pleasure to see them leave with a better education & a smile!

winterwood

Single-Sixer
It is obvious that some women can "handle" big caliber handguns, but that is often the exception. What one can bear is not always what one needs. My wife is a fine handgunner. She is a foot shorter than me and weighs less that half what I do. She CAN shoot big mags, but why if they are not really comfortable and fun.
She carries a Browning BDA .380. The gun shop owner who did our concealed carry class called it a "mouse gun". She was insulted and I thought I would like to see him holding the target while she delivered a few rounds into the x ring.
The light weight carry guns offered today, along with the thought that we must have super knock-down power, frequently leads to a gun that punishes and becomes a dread to shoot. A gun without practice becomes a liability.
Education means understanding the needs and then being flexible enough to meet them.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its bogus to say that women or kids are prone to starting with something they can't handle, most guys I know just had to have the .500 S&W for their first revolver and they shot 2 or 3 rounds and put it away.

.22s are the way to go to get started and to keep practicing with.

sheepman

Bearcat
The 22 is not only a good gun to start with it is a fine gun to shoot for a life time. The wife has problems with recoil and muzzle blast as well as pour hand strength, for her a 22 is about tops. She can and will shoot a 38 and has a 32 but her 22 rifle and target pistol are what she prefers. I find myself shooting more 22s as I don't have to go home and reload them. Bill :D

Single-Sixer
.22 is what I started with and what I tend to shoot more of than anything else today. I have guns up to .44Mag and love them all, but my favorite gun is still a Single-Six.

The Highlander

Bearcat
My first handgun 25 years ago was a .22 Ruger, and the most recent last Saturday was a .22 Ruger. At least I'm consistent!

It is THE perfect choice for an introductory gun, a fun gun, just about anything except duty and primary defense.

martyj

Blackhawk
My wife enjoys her little ruger standard. She has shot 357s. 40s, and numerous others but enjoys her Ruger pistol.
I have to admit if you cant hit what your aiming at than a bigger pistol or gun isnt the answer.
Target shooting should be enjoyable and most women dont get a kick out of blowing things up like men do. I have yet to see a woman carry a gallon jug of water out several hundred yards just to blow it up.

greener

Single-Sixer
Watched a family at the range last week. Dad was teaching his son and wife to shoot. The kid was getting into the 9mm and .40 but Mom kept going back to the MKIII Hunter. Dad would drag her back to the centerfires. She picked up a heck of a flinch, even with the Hunter by the time it was over. No shooting glasses and a couple of casings in the face didn't help. I just kept quiet and watched them to make sure that they weren't pointing anything at me. I think Mom would have really benefited from more time with the Ruger (and some better coaching and some eye protection.)

greener

Single-Sixer
WAYNO":eixspdqc said:
omalon":eixspdqc said:
The lady who was in the lane next to me was waiting in the lobby and said she wanted to see my guns...She went on to say she was new to shooting...

The oldest pickup line at the range!

Did she offer to buy you a drink? 8)

WAYNO.

A better pickup line for me would be something about .45 Colt brass. :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
greener,,, a POLITE offering of help/instruction may have been in order.
Quite often I teach ladies & I POLITELY tell their spouse that while they are good people,, sometimes they make the worst instructors for the ladies.
Careful, polite non-threatening instruction is very beneficial to most people. Ladies usually have to worry about "spousal approval."

Gav-n-Tn

Bearcat
greener said:
Watched a family at the range last week. No shooting glasses and a couple of casings in the face didn't help.

I'd be very nervous around that kind of activity. Very nervous.

greener

Single-Sixer
a POLITE offering of help/instruction may have been in order.
Quite often I teach ladies & I POLITELY tell their spouse that while they are good people,, sometimes they make the worst instructors for the ladies.
Careful, polite non-threatening instruction is very beneficial to most people. Ladies usually have to worry about "spousal approval."

I offer polite observations or advice quite often. This was one of those times that Dad was in charge of the instruction.

I'd be very nervous around that kind of activity. Very nervous.
I just keep a weather eye out for other shooters. Doesn't take long to learn whom you can trust and whom you can't trust. I've been around shooting for a bit over 50 years, 30 of them in the Reserves. I'm not sure whether my paranoia peaked with the Colonel who put two .45 rounds directly behind him and into the tower I happened to be in or the artillery battery that dropped six around my TOC. These folks were pretty safe, I just paid a bit more attention to them than other folks out there.

greener

Single-Sixer
Lack of eye protection certainly doesn't make a positive statement about their safety awareness and attitude, but I don't recall shooting in any place that it is a hard rule. If you would like to take a chance on visiting an eye surgeon, be my guest, it's a free country. I've worn prescription glasses for about 50 years, so I always have some eye protection. I do shoot a few rounds from my SD guns without glasses every now and then just to be familiar with the sight blur. I may not fumble around for the specs in the 3AM intruder in the house scenario.

The same applies, IMO, to hearing protection. I've had a hearing loss and constant ringing ears for about 30 years from artillery misfire procedures in the early '70's. Every now and then I see folks who want to do that to themselves by choice. Amazes me.

Some of the safety stuff is voluntary, just don't point your bullet launcher in my direction, or give me the idea you may do that.

greener

Single-Sixer
Yesterday there was a couple at the range working on shooting an S&W 642. She was wearing shooting gloves, but you could tell from the handshaking after 5 rounds that she really wasn't enjoying the practice. We chatted some during one of the lulls and I gave them a few tips on shooting the snubbie. We got around to talking about my SA revolvers and I offered them my single six for a while. They had a ball. She enjoyed the positive aspects of better accuracy without a sore wrist.

Gav-n-Tn

Bearcat
greener":jszcjvyw said:
Lack of eye protection certainly doesn't make a positive statement about their safety awareness and attitude, but I don't recall shooting in any place that it is a hard rule............I may not fumble around for the specs in the 3AM intruder in the house scenario.

I agree you but there is a difference. I don't have a desire to wear shooting glasses while hunting either. The difference is that when you are range shooting, you are creating higher odds of a possibility of an incident just by the sheer volume of cycling at a single sitting. Same with your hearing. One shot one kill while hunting is not the same as multiple rounds from you and the folks surrounding you for several hours on a range. And you're are absolutely correct about it being individual's choice but it sure makes you raise an eyebrow.