Single Six Mag cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

quiet-wyatt

Bearcat
Hello,

Just picked up a Single Six made in 1973, but it only had the 22LR cylinder.

I'll be looking for a 22 Mag cylinder to fit to it, but here's my question...

What do I look for to match to a 1973-made Single Six? For instance - Length, Flutes/No flutes, scroll marks, rachet design, etc...

- OR -

Should I just send it to Ruger and have them do their magic?

Thanks in advance...

quiet-wyatt

Sturgell

Bearcat
Measure yours get on GunBroker and find a seller that will measure the one they have for you to see if the measurement is the same or greater than yours. There are a lot of Mag cylinders on GB but no LR cylinders for the other guy.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
quiet-wyatt,

welcome to the forum. congrats on your new revolver.

I have to admit, i'm not 100% clear on this, but I believe 1973 was the first year the New Model was introduced......so i'm going to reply as if your revolver is a new model and there is no risk of the gun receiving the safety conversion and the possibility of not getting back your old model lockwork.

IMO, sending it to Ruger is going to be the least headache for you. You
don't have to worry about finding a cylinder of a particular length ......you don't have to track down a smith that you can trust to fit the cylinder correctly (AND who will do a small job like this). I'm just not willing to purchase a cylinder with the expectation that it will work in my revolver. too many variables. beginning just with the way one person measures with calipers/mic..........or even variances between my measuring instrument and their instrument. I have a few "spare cylinders" that i've purchased, but they are all set aside for specific projects and will be fitted by a smith.

Just because you find a cylinder that is the exact same OAL as yours doesn't mean the timing will be on. Yes, it MAY work, but there is no guarantee it will work. There is quite a bit more to it than the over all length of the cylinder. There is, the front bushing length which will also effect barrel cylinder gap, the ratchet length which sets headspace.

There will always be slight variances from one revolver to another revolver within the same model.

again, just my opinion, best of luck

~c.r.

yes, you can give us the overall length of the cylinder that is NOW in YOUR gun, and my bet, someone will have one close enough to work for you...as said the main thing on the "early" new models, BOTH cylinders are fluted and the 22 lr has the firing pin groove,BUT there are others that can and will work...............you can put the unfluted one in your gun, if 'fitted' properly,but it would be wrong for the vintage of your gun......this ain't rocket science..................

maxpress

Buckeye
so one poster wants a 22lr cylinder and the poster below him wants a 22mag cylinder. each one has what the one the other wants. hmmmmmm....what to do, what to do..........

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
Not to hijack the thread here, but after reading this, and the other post I have a question. Does anyone know what the turn-around time is from Ruger if I send them a Single Six for a new cylinder and fitting? Mines a '75 NM. Also does the $140 or so include return shipping? Thanks

quiet-wyatt

Bearcat
slowpoke":1edjwwec said:
Not to hijack the thread here, but after reading this, and the other post I have a question. Does anyone know what the turn-around time is from Ruger if I send them a Single Six for a new cylinder and fitting? Mines a '75 NM. Also does the $140 or so include return shipping? Thanks

slowpoke,

I just received an answer from Ruger yesterday about the cost, but no mention on the turnaround time. Here it is:

"Cost for cylinder installation: $65.00 for the cylinder, $50.00 labor and $30.00 return shipping."

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the quick reply Wyatt. Good info. Interesting to me also that I see people paying sometimes close to 100 bucks for a cylinder on GB when they could get a new one with fitting for not that much more.

maxpress

Buckeye
so $200 dollars at least and 10 weeks?
IMO it would be easier to slap a 50-100 dollar bill down and just get a used 22mag revolver and have 2 guns.