Single Six Loading Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wobble

Bearcat
Just picked up my new Single Six (new model) yesterday (yes!) - stainless, 6.5" barrel, rosewood grips, with extra mag cylinder. It's a beauty.

This is my first experience with the Ruger loading gate interlock that allows loading with hammer down. Here's my question.

On other six-shooters you half-cock the hammer, open the loading gate, and the cylinder is keyed into correct position for loading or ejecting a chamber. But with my Single Six, the cylinder is more or less free-wheeling in a clockwise direction, with slight keying indent clicks that don't position a chamber quite correctly for loading or ejecting. I have to manually move it a bit to get it into correct position.

Is this normal? Is this the way the Single Six is supposed to work? I guess I was expecting the loading/ejecting chamber to be automatically positioned correctly with each "click" of the cylinder.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Yep. That's the way it's designed, and is one reason a lot of folks don't care for most new models.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but I've gotten used to it over the years.

;)

Daryl

flatgate

Hawkeye
As AzRebel stated, "that's the way it is". Since 2005, in a few select Models,
Ruger has installed a "reverse indexing pawl" that fixes that situation.

Increased familiarity with your Single-Six will help a lot! I ALWAYS fiddle with my UNLOADED "new" guns quite a bit to get used to them. As a "new owner" you'll certainly benefit from some "dry firing" and "loading/unloading" time.

JMHO,

flatgate

Wobble

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the quick responses. That eases my mind that there is no problem. I can get used to it if I know that's the way it is.

A

Anonymous

+1 on what the folks above say
My '81 model loads/unloads the same.

After a while, like flatgate said once you get familiar with it, loading and unloading will be second nature.

I can load mine just about as fast as a swing out cylinder.
(one round at a time, no speedloader, that is)

Enjoy your new six!

Wobble

Bearcat
Shot my Single Six for the first time this afternoon -- about 150 rounds of CCI Mini Mag and Maxi Mag (with the mag cylinder) and found the loading and ejecting not to be a big problem. Thanks for all the responses.