Single Six Hunter bore .224?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
I put a slug down the bore of my SSH and the lands measure .222, the groves measure .224. The cylinder gap is .004. With the right 22mag ammo it's a tack driver. 22lr is all over the place. I heard these things had some kind of compromise bore diameter, but this specs out to 22mag, which would explain the poor 22lr accuracy. So I guess these are 22 mag dimensions with a 22lr cylinder for kicks? Or is the bore off?

contender

Ruger Guru
When Ruger first started making the Single-Six,, the bores were .222. Then when they started making 22 mag guns,, they had to increase the bore size to .224. Once they decided to make the convertable guns,, to keep things safe,, they made ALL the bores .224. Yes,, the 22 mag is usually more accurate,, and the 22 lr is a little more of a plinker. However,, you can shop around & find some ammo types that work very well in the LR,,! If you want tighter accuracy out of the 22LR,, you can also get a "Paco Accurizing tool." It'll help a bunch as well.
Most of us realize that the 22 LR cylinder in a Single-Six isn't a competition grade firearm,, but usually can be a good accurate enough plinker. It's all in the level of accuracy you want or expect.

cgb

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply sir. I am using this as a varmint sidearm, so the mag ammo is fine. With the Hornady V-Max, it's just deadly.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Contender is right, as usual. However, a lot of single sixes are just as accurate, or even more so, with 22 LR ammo. My dad's Sinlge Six Hunter will shoot 3/4" groups from a rest at 20 yards with Federal bulk pack 22 LR. And when I say it "will shoot", I don't mean every once in a while. I mean regularly.