Single Six - Flat gate or round gate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I have a Single Six that currently has a round gate on it.
According to the s/n - 54429 and Ruger Records - It was shipped 12/57.

I am not much of a Single Six knowledge base, so I dug out my RENE. Apparently this "might" have been changed from a flat gate.
Do any of you know for sure, or know how to tell, or is it just a mute point?

Thanks,

Well, any of them could have been retrofitted after shipping.

Dougan says the flat gates were discontinued in March of 1957, at serial number 61000.

Looks like it's possible yours was shipped with a flat gate, but we'll likely never know. It's definitely "in the ballpark" though.

If you were to swap a flat one into it, nobody could prove it wasn't original.

JMHO
;)

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
Yeah, but ----- I would know.
IF it was supposed to have one, then I would want to put one in. I like the looks of the flat gates, but don't want to swap it if it is not proper.

I have heard how some people didn't like the flat gate so they would change them out. Don't know that. Just been told.

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
Yes! I know!
That is what got me asking this question. I have not seen any for sale before, or rather, not for sale when I saw the ad. I was always a little too late.

Thanks again!!!!

b1buddy, abosolutely no way of knowing for certain which way it was shipped,"parts type" not noted in the shipping records...yes, many were changed as the flast gate was a pain in the fingernails to open, ,so the Premiere gate was the 'first" to arrive on the scene to 'save old Ruger..." then as noted by Dougan and others , the took it upon themselves to make the change and go to a round gate....during this 'transition' could have been either way and if you sent the gun back, they would change it for you........your gun MOST likely was shipped with the flat gate...........its YOUR call

You like the looks of the flat gate? Your gun falls in the flatgate range?
Changing it seems like the thing to do.
You could call ruger and ask them to check ig the gun was ever returned for service.( gate swap). Sometines they have that info.
My guess is no better than anyone else, but was probally a flatfate that someone needed to " modernize".
Go for it. :D

'gate's probably right. The gun was likely shipped "late" with respect to its serial number, and fitted with the parts in common use at the time . . . in this case, the round loading gate.

We (me included) need to always remember that serial number isn't a very reliable indicator with Ruger, considering their "flexible" assembly/shipping procedures and "parts bin" component handling.

:roll: :oops:

yessir, but that is pretty 'close" if it was MUCH later, then I'd say more likely, but sounds like it was built, then sat there, and not for that long...but again, the parts are not "specified".....( how about 'special order"?????? :roll:

( sounds like one of those "find" the guns numbered just 'before' and just after, and compare....) 8)

hey reminds me of the pair of consecutive numbered RSSE the JM had years ago, one was a flatgate, the NEXT number, a round gate....nope ,sorry Laura didn't buy them...... :cry:

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, don't change those gates!! Flatgate is right...12/57 indicates the gun was shipped originally with a contoured gate. SN 5000 is owned by one of our well-known RF members and it too left late, in late 1958....with a contoured gate.
The two RSSE that rugerguy mentioned were owned by JM were sn's 44919 and 44920. 44919 was shipped 8/57 and has a contoured gate, large ejector button and engraved screw heads. 44920 was shipped 9/56 and has a flat loading gate, small ejector button and unengraved screwheads. A few months makes a big difference!!
Of course, that pair was not shipped as a consecutive pair originally and in fact went to two different distributors.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
b1buddy":128d1r64 said:
I have a Single Six that currently has a round gate on it.
According to the s/n - 54429 and Ruger Records - It was shipped 12/57.
I am not much of a Single Six knowledge base, so I dug out my RENE. Apparently this "might" have been changed from a flat gate.
Do any of you know for sure, or know how to tell, or is it just a mute point?

Thanks,

PM sent
Chet15

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
Just mailed off the money order to Jussbad for one of those flatgates, but now that I have caught up on all your input, I will just put it in a drawer and wait for the "right" one to come along that needs it.

I really don't want to get into collecting these old 22's. I am too deep into M77's, OM 357's and 45's, and Maximums and now some 'special' ones. And that doesn't count the no. 1's. Oh My! Maybe if I sell my vette!!!

I just worked a deal with RugerBoi to trade for his U-marked vaquero. This way, I will have two of the known three. Will add something to my display, huh?

Now, if any of you have something you want to swap for a OM SS shipped in Dec. 1957, well, I may need to post in classifieds, huh?

Thanks to all of you for your input. I will follow your advice and leave it alone! :) :) :)