Single Six cylinder sticks with loading gate open. Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
My 1975 made Ruger Super Single Six has a little problem. When I open the loading gate to load or unload the cylinder chambers, as I rotate the cylinder...it sticks. It's rather annoying that I can't line up each chamber to insert a .22 cartridge or punch out an empty case with the ejector rod.

It seems that the bolt is still slightly engaging each of the cylinder's chamber notches just slightly. If I hold the cylinder firmly and rotate it harshly, it will move but then I wind up missing that particular chamber and have to come around to it again.

I did put a set of Wolfe springs in this Ruger years ago, but it was never a problem before. It just started happening.

Help! Any ideas for a quick fix? This was my Dad's Ruger and he had it engraved by Jeff Flannery 25-30 years ago.

-Steve

NikA

Buckeye
Without taking anything apart, I think there is a spring underneath the loading gate that forces it closed that might affect this. Maybe start by checking whether it is operating properly?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Wow, I'm sure you'd rather have your dad, but that's a gorgeous family heirloom handed down to you.

The cyl bolt is operated by the gate spring when gate is opened and by the hammer when the gate is closed.

NikA may be onto the problem. Besides holding the loading gate open, the spring also operates the cyl bolt when the gate is opened and the hammer is down. Make sure the spring didn't pop out at the base of the gate on the hinge.

To verify the bolt is working correctly, close the gate and pull the hammer back 1/2 way: can you see that the bolt goes all the way down into the frame opening?

If yes, the problem is the gate/bolt spring popped out of place. Push back in with a screwdriver blade.