Single Six, Curio and Relic ? Transfer info.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rattletrap1970

Bearcat
Hi there,

I live in Connecticut. A friend of mine wants to give me a Ruger Single Six that was his dads (who passed away a couple years ago), also from Connecticut. He's not really into guns and thought I'd be a good candidate for it. It's a 1956 Ruger Single Six .22 convertible (.22LR & .22 Mag). It's in beautiful condition and is in the original box.
Now, as far as I know this year of Ruger Single six is C&R eligible. I should be getting my C&R permit soon. Generally in Connecticut you have to fill out the transfer forms (4 of them) and a sales form.
Would I simply enter it in the bound book as a C&R and be done with it? I mean, isn't that the way the FFL 03 is supposed to work?

Thanks

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger didn't make convertibles in '56! The .22 WMR cartridge wasn't invented until late '58/early '59. At that point Ruger introduced a .22 Magnum Single-Six with a slightly larger bore to handle the .22 WMR's jacketed bullet.

The convertibles emerged in 1961.

flatgate

mohavesam

Hawkeye
If the serial number indicates the GUN was made prior to 1960, it is eligible. Use Ruger's website for verification.

The conversion cylinder may well have been fitted later; that's ok, it's just a "part" not a firearm.

As for your state laws - they can add complications. The FFL does not trump state & local laws/ordinances. It only relieves requirements on state-to-state/FFL-to-FFL transfers.

GRAMPS 51

Buckeye
Hi To answer your question if you have a valid CT pistol permit you have to fill out the form (4 copys all signed in ink ) and call it in for a confermation number then mail them where they have to go ( the seller has to call it in ) you do not have to put it into your book unless you have it shipped

GRAMPS

rattletrap1970

Bearcat
My mistake. The serial number is 360XX8 so it was the first half of 1963. It is an: "Old Model" Single-Six - Magnum Model (manufactured from 1959 to 1969)"
My buddies Grandfather bought it new, it then went to my buddies Dad when he the grandfather passed away. It has since gone to my buddy when his dad passed away. There is no other paperwork that he is aware of regarding this pistol. Basically just passed down twice.
Will there be any issues with transferring it?

flatgate

Hawkeye
rattletrap1970":1tumqk74 said:
Will there be any issues with transferring it?

It depends on your state's laws and any "local" laws. Here in Wyoming two residents can trade guns for cash without any legal issues. Of course, selling a gun to a known Felon is against the law, but, basically two "law abiding" citizens can do a transfer w/o any Federal or State paperwork.

In CT the gun will probably have to be logged in by a "Dealer" then logged out to you.

JMHO,
YMMV,

flatgate

Orangeusa

Bearcat
In CA, C&R means nothing unless you are selling a rifle. So even a 1959 or previous pistola will still need FFL.

Just letting you know, that you really need to check w/ local gunshops/FFL's and it wouldn't hurt to at least try to read your state gun laws.

Good luck, but if in doubt - FFL's are really cheap compared to making a MISTAKE in a gun sale...

chet15

Hawkeye
rattletrap1970":3amzd6dj said:
My mistake. The serial number is 360XX8 so it was the first half of 1963. It is an: "Old Model" Single-Six - Magnum Model (manufactured from 1959 to 1969)"

OOOH! You have my attention here!. Barrel length??
360xx8 would indicate a transition Single-Six, probably the Type 2 transition which is the rarer of the transitions of this period. There were also quite a few 9-1/2" guns at that sn range (convertibles) as well as a very few Mag. only Single-Sixes.
Let us know the bbl length as well as its true status (Mag only or convertible?).
Chet15

Latest posts