Single Six Caliber Conversions Aint Jus 4 Old Models Anymore

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
Clements NEW MODEL 6 SHOT .38 Special Single Six

How this one came to be is a long story but I'll make it short as I know how. I was talking to John Linebaugh about finding the right revolver for coyotes and cats that would be an effective clean killer without tearing up hides & NOT blow my ear drums out. He's had good luck over the years with a 180 Keith in .38 Special in S&W revolvers, and I almost went there, but even though I like them, the ones I've owned seem to just not be a good fit for me, and the wheels started turning toward a Bisley. I figured that idea would go nowhere since the transfer bar channel has always kept it from happening on the New Models, making the Old Models the necessary builders, but mentioned it to David Clements one day along with some thoughts from myself and other mutual friends in the revolver game on the subject. Within a few days David and I decided to go forward with building a prototype on a .32 Bisley. I had one that was suffering from poor factory grip to cylinder frame fit so decided to Guinea pig it. I also sent David a stainless Single Seven to do one for himself. The results turned out well above our expectations with minimal recoil on upper end loads, as well as plenty of meat in the cylinder that is more than adequate for top end load pressures. Last, but not least, David said the accuracy is better than he even hoped for. Both our guns are shooting ragged holes with a 180 LBT and Accurate #9 with standard small pistol primers, as well as some factory ammo. I just got mine back today as pictured below along with the NW Mtn. Companion Doc made up for it with a shell slide for my Barranti 1 3/4 belt he made up a few years ago. The revolver is in the white with blacked sights with vertical white line on the front dovetail. Blue nitred pins and screws with Colt base pin and original factory grips. 4 1/2" straight taper barrel with Colt crown. I'm going to shoot it in the morning if the ice storm doesn't beat me to the farm. David was so happy with the way these turned out he's now added the conversion to the catalog. Here's the link to the page with the conversion so you can see the pics of the one he made for himself. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the pics to enlarge. He fitted up a Bisley hammer to his and did a satin bead finish on it. David did an auxiliary 9mm cylinder for his and made the grips for it as well. I carried mine today with 158 HPs and it is great to tote around size and weight wise. I'm looking forward to being able to run factory .38 Spl snake shot in my Single Six this summer for the rattlers too 8) This is one of the few that come through that I can say with certainty is a permanent adoption into the family. I love it already and I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/singlesix.html

2 dogs

Buckeye
Sir, is the cylinder built from scratch or is that a rechambered factory unit? I ask because I happen to have a spare 32 cylinder myself.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Oversize diameter, full window length, recessed case head 6 Shot Cylinder. You can run bullets out to .350" nose to crimp in the ones from David. Some frames might allow slightly more, and you could do them in .357 using deep seated bullets or by going a tad forward into the front side of the cylinder frame with the mill, but you can only go so far before crowding the base pin latch. A lot can be done if the base pin latch hole in the frame is welded up and a locking screw base pin replaces the old system same way FA does there's.

Latest posts