Single Six Buntline with a 12" barrel! Photos Posted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearpa

Bearcat
Hello the Forum,

I am looking at buying a Single Six, made in 1959 by the serial number, with a 12" barrel on it. On the barrel written in script, looks like it was engraved on the barrel, "Buntline" with the barrel length.

Does anyone have any information on this revolver? I have been unable to find anything in my research library so any info would be greatly appreciated.

All I have found was that the 9 1/2" barrel was the longest produced, but I do remember seeing an article on one with a 12" barrel some time ago.

Thanks
Bearpa :?:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Your are correct in your observations. RSS9/RSS9X were the Old Models with the 9-1/2" barrels. Ruger made several variations in the New Model version, as well. Both single cylinder and convertible versions in blued and stainless.

I do NOT recall of ever hearing of a 12" barreled Ruger Single-Six. I've heard of ONE 12" .44 mag. Super Blackhawk and I believe it was a "Employee" gun.

I've never heard of any "script" barrel inscriptions, either. The closest thing would be the "pre warning" Ruger Old Army.

JMHO,

flatgate

mattsbox99

Hunter
A Buntline is a Colt... I don't know anything more about them except they are similar to the Single Six.

This Wikipedia article says they are .45 Colts, but I know I've seen at least one .22LR one in person, and it did have a long barrel. I'm not a Colt collector so I didn't pay much attention to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Buntline

Here is the revolver I'm thinking of:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin ... emID=34578

It doesn't say anything about it have a gregariously long barrel though.

bearpa

Bearcat
I'm trying to figure out if this is a factory run job or and after market barrel. I know Ruger has been known to make special runs of non cataloged guns for certain companies like Lipsey's.

Bearpa

Cholo

Staff member
bearpa, how 'bout some pics?

mattsbox99, remind me to never let the Colt Archive Collection have any of my guns. Looks like they took a belt sander to it after dragging it down a gravel road for a country mile. I have one "like it" as it's a 7 1/2" Colt Buntline .22. No further resemblance though.

bearpa

Bearcat
Haven't bought it yet. When I do I will post some pictures, if the price is right.

Bearpa

flatgate

Hawkeye
bearpa":61qlqjus said:
I'm trying to figure out if this is a factory run job or and after market barrel. I know Ruger has been known to make special runs of non cataloged guns for certain companies like Lipsey's.

Bearpa

A barrel produced by Ruger would have Ruger's address roll markings. One question, if I may? What sort of front sight is on this "thing"?

flatgate

bearpa

Bearcat
Same type of front site as you would find on any of the fixed sight Single Sixes from that period.

Bearpa

"A Buntline is a Colt"

You're right in that Ned Buntline (allegedly) ordered several of these Colts, giving one to Wyatt Earp. The "Buntline Special" name stuck to the long-barreled single-actions.

In recent years, however, any similar long-barreled single-action sixgun seems to be called a "Buntline" model. It may not be completely proper, but then not all facial tissues are "Kleenexes" either.

Nice links . . . thanks.
:)

if the rollmarkings are in "script" then it is a 'custom' ( aftermarket) job, and as said above, I NEVER saw or heard of any "factory" 12inch 22 cal barrel offerings...yes, lots of them put on guns over the years, , in fact I saw one recently that had the 'octagon' barrel from a rifle, installed and cut down to around that length,looked "neat" but not my cup of tea...
as for Colt, both the 22 scouts in a variety of barrels lengths were marked "Buntline", as well as the SAA or the New Frontier in larger calibers.

G2

Hunter
A little off subject, But I recall a member here posted a picture of a Buntline Bearcat. I think it was a 9" barrel. It was a neat little piece.
I bought a 10-22 Stainless Barrel/Doner, to do the same thing on a NM Stainless Bearcat and then decided against the $1000 price tag. :shock:

Your gun sounds interesting. If you don't mind ... What is the asking price?

mattsbox99

Hunter
I guess I've seen quite a few more now that I think about it. The Cody Firearms Museum has a fantastic collection of Colts including quite a display of these "Buntlines".

They are lacking miserably in a Ruger display though, considering the Blackhawk and Vaquero did more than anything to reviving Single Action shooting and competition.

G2

Hunter
A little off topic but .... this reminds me of a project I took on a few years ago. Found these at a gun show and to tell you the truth I cannot tell you what they are other than parts guns.
3rd generation colt cylinders, 2nd generation colt barrels, colt cylinder pins, 1st colt generation hammers.
Bought with no bolt,bolt trigger spring, pawl, trigger, ERH/ER/ERB.
P1010001-9.jpg

Consective sn# frames
P1010002-15.jpg

Interesting how it has a hole for a "Ruger" pawl spring, which I have aquired and it fits and works perfect.
P1010016-1.jpg

P1010023-2.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010025-1.jpg

I guess my reason for posting is there are lots of parts out there and here is a example of a true parts gun/s, and hodge podge it is. When completed I personally will have a ton of time in em, but not alot of cash and I think will make some good dueling revolvers with my sons. Target dueling that is. :roll:

I little fyi . . . You see 2nd generation Colt's for $1000+ and Uberti clones for ~$750 I should be into both of these ~$750 for the pair, the value of the parts.

americal

Hunter
G2 -- Those two ought to be lookers when you get through with them :!: I love the short barrels & long barrels just the looks are so neat 8) just like RSS4 & RSS9, the extremes I find most appealing and you sure have two nice parts guns going ---like to see them when you get through--Talk about FUN to shoot :) WHAT a treat for your boys--NOW get them done :evil: :lol:

chet15

Hawkeye
bearpa":17o0sz3u said:
Same type of front site as you would find on any of the fixed sight Single Sixes from that period.

Bearpa

Why all the speculation? Why not give the factory a call with the serial number and see what they say?
I'll join these other guys and say that there is a 99.99+% chance that somebody has tinkered with it after it left the factory. But there is the other .01-% that can make a collector very happy!!
Script? Jerred did script. Who knows what was going on in WBR's mind back then...there's still so much we don't know. :wink:
And...I've found a lot of good guns that shouldn't exist.
Chet15

bearpa

Bearcat
Well I bought it! Workmaship is outstanding, the frame and ejector rod are original to the gun. Both have all of the original finish and the grips are perfect. Who ever did the barrel job was a master smith, barrel/cylinder gap is tight, front sight proper thickness (kind of beefy) and nicely finished. The top of the barrel is engraved in script "22 Long Rifle Buntline ". Excellent ballance to the gun with the 12" barrel.

I don't believe it has seen much use since the barrel was added. Serial number places manufacture in "59, a nice three screw. The holster appears to be made for the gun as it is a perfect fit. Made by Bucheimer.

Made my day.

Bearpa

chet15

Hawkeye
Is the Ruger address on the barrel?
This still might not mean anything, but you will still want to see what the factory says.
After all, there wouldn't be a 15" .44 flattop today if WBR didn't have a fertile mind.
Chet15

P.S. Ruger never cataloged a 15" .44 flattop either, or a 7-1/2" Single-Six (and one of those exists too!).
I've learned to "Never say Never". Have made too much $ off of those words! :D
Chet15

Latest posts