Single Six Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A while back there was a thread about Single Six accuracy. I commented I could only get about 4 inch groups at best. I was at the range today, and I'm happy to report this Single Six shot a 2 inch group. And the shots touching are indeed the first three shots. After I took this picture, I reloaded and did it again, to convince myself it wasn't a fluke. Huh, maybe with a little practice, I might even improve on that.

MlXg2ghl.jpg

disclaimer: It was about 22 yards, with a sandbag on a rest. And I had actually just cleaned it as well.
trZ6plcl.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
"4 inch groups" usually means; "Loose nut behind the trigger!" :D :D :D
Especially when discussing a Single-Six! :D :D

Seriously,,, looks like you are improving!

gunzo

Hunter
Spoiled by using a High Standard target model for so long that had sighs & a trigger from heaven, I too didn't think Single Sixes were very capable on paper. Just a tool to me.

I had to work at it a while. But one thing I learned was follow through. Important with any format, but totally necessary IMO for single actions. Staying on the sights, & on target for a completely finished hammer fall & then some helped me realize the Single Six simply needed proper handling. Compatible ammo usually helps too. :wink:

woodsy

Blackhawk
My newish Single-Ten will easily do that, NOW, because I got a Burris red-dot sight, and I installed it with a mount I made myself, to copy the ones made by Weigand. And, without a sandbag, but two hands with a "tree-support". Will easily achieve a MOASH. (minute of angle squirrel head)

Contender: yeah, yeah, yeah... :D I know... I need to come back out East so you can give me some more pointers. I still remember working with you for just a few minutes about stance and grip.

It's interesting to me how open sights can be so different from gun to gun. I have a hard time remembering the sight picture each gun likes the best. And then I have one single six I installed Two Dog's front sight. It's too high and I need to work on that gun next.