Single Six 9.5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'm interested in adding a Single Six long barreled 9.5" model to my collection. I prefer stainless over blued but have a question. For those more in the know.

Were the stainless 9.5" models a regular production model? Or were they some sort of limited run for a distributor?

I've seen a picture of one so I know they exist, but even on Google images they are few and far between. I don't want to get my heart set on one to later discover the stainless models only had a batch of say 500 produced and are unobtatium.

So basically I'm asking were these made in significant quantities or are they so rare I should just be looking at the blued models?

I would shoot it and not safe queen it. Also not interested In exact numbers produced, just a general idea of production.

Thanks!

chet15

Hawkeye
rammerjammer said:
I'm interested in adding a Single Six long barreled 9.5" model to my collection. I prefer stainless over blued but have a question. For those more in the know.

Were the stainless 9.5" models a regular production model? Or were they some sort of limited run for a distributor?

I've seen a picture of one so I know they exist, but even on Google images they are few and far between. I don't want to get my heart set on one to later discover the stainless models only had a batch of say 500 produced and are unobtatium.

So basically I'm asking were these made in significant quantities or are they so rare I should just be looking at the blued models?

I would shoot it and not safe queen it. Also not interested In exact numbers produced, just a general idea of production.

Thanks!

They were regular production in 1974 and 1975 only. But they didn't sell well so were discontinued pretty fast.
They were made as convertibles and as LR only (the star model).
Chet15

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Thanks again for the information guys. Patience is a virtue and I am on the hunt!

msp2640

Single-Sixer
R-J, I've seen only 1 SS in Stainless with a 9.5 in bbl, it was on this forum a while ago by one of the members, Brian McGrew of McGrew Gun Works - A very nice guy. I wanted it badly, but my finances didn't line up at the time. It was really nice and had been customized just a bit, if I recall - I don't remember if it sold or not. I had been casually looking for the long barreled model for a while - mostly for just a NM, preferred Blue, but SS would work - priority was the Mag cylinder and I was pretty much looking for an Early NM with the fluted cylinder. Especially last year the prices, like everything, were thru the roof on the ones available. This past Spring, I finally lucked out on GB and was the only bidder for a near NIB from 1990, had everything from 31 yrs ago for 499. Not a fluted cylinder model, but it was flawless, had perfect solid, not laminated, grips. My intention was to "fix it up" a bit and source a fluted Mag cylinder. I did some minor parts changes, a steel grip frame, Vaquero ejector rod, Belt Mountain cylinder pin, Wolff Trigger Spring and BFR rear sight. The steel grip frame seemed to make it balance better for me and I'm not a big fan of the alloy frame anyway. I had never shot it prior to the changes, so no basis to say what helped with the accuracy, but the action was much "tighter" with the new pin and trigger was much better. First time out off of sand bags at our 25 yd range, with 3 different types of ammo - it shot as well as many of my rimfire rifles (1/2-1" for the cylinder full). It was about 2" high and to the right....and of course I forgot a proper screwdriver for the needed adjustments. That day I ended the search for a fluted cylinder, as I really doubt it would be any more accurate and put aside my preference for the "looks". I wish I could post up a pic here, as I do have a before and after, but you have to look hard to see the changes anyway. Good luck in your search - I'm sure you'll be happy when you finally find the one you're looking for. Bill in MA

BrewsterII

Bearcat
Here is one for you .......

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/ruger-revolvers-single-six/ruger-new-model-single-six.cfm?gun_id=101730538