Single Six #61445 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi is this a type 4 flatgate or type 1 roundgate ? when I bought it I thouht it was a type 4 flatgate that someone had swithed gates on also I noticed the gate although turning purple is shaped a little differant than my other roundgates but is not as long as a premier gate were there two differant roundgates ?
P1010062.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

I added pictures of all 3 gates

GRAMPS

chet15

Hawkeye
That extra gate you show there looks like a Premier.
Can't tell for sure, but the gate on your 61xxx range gun looks right. All the early round loading gates look like they have a real poor blue job on them (that's how I tell if it was original roundgate or not, in lieu of one being changed to roundgate), but I don't remember any of those earliest Roundgates having a purple hue.
You might try comparing the gate with one on an all-blue alloy Lightweight. Should be the same thing.
Chet15

CHET15 It got the best of me so I got out the caliper
61445 531
all blue lw 580
extra gate 580
premier gate 612
20 prefix 585

the extra gate and the premier gate are more rounded maybe premier made them in 2 lengths

GRAMPS

chet15

Hawkeye
Maybe somebody else can do a mic on their early round gate.
Did you have an all-blue alloy Lightweight to compare. Pretty sure I've never seen an early poor blue RG with purple color.
Chet15

I measured my all blue steel cyl LW but the finish on that is very good it just seems odd the lengths very that much The finish on 61445 looks kind of purple but could be poor blue my eyes aint what they use to be
THANKS GRAMPS

americal

Hunter
I SURE am NOT qualified on this event :) but I sure like the gun & the GATE is interesting 8) looks like something going on there :? I may be wrong but gate seems not quite round :? my eyes are bad so never mind on the roundness :lol:

chet15

Hawkeye
By the time the steel cylinder Lightweights began coming off the line, their gates may have had a better blue job on them (speaking of the polish). Those early gates have a real ugly gray look to them.
Chet15

Hey Gramps, exatly where are you measuring from??? the flat of the front, to the edge of the rear??? you had me going there, so got out some of ours from the parts bin as well as the 68,678 round gate gun sitting right here on the bench and they all run, from .470 to .495, and the 'Premieres are around the .620 mark.......
Yeah, different colors we too have notd over the years, just sold a round gate a bit lower than yours and it had a plum gate,most we see though are like Chad said, the early ones on the lighter side but most of them 'blue' sdee more plum gates on the Blackhawks,but "parts is parts" when it come to bluing.............casting alloy and the temperature of the salt bath are critical.................

Hi DAN Yes I measured from the flat what cought my eye to start with was the differance in the contour of the extra gate it is the same as a premier but shorter I had taken that extra gate off a earlier flatgate to make it correct but never noticed it
Would you guess that gate is correct (early round gate) ? And what do you think that extra gate is ?

GRAMPS

my guess is that the other gate is aopther Premiere, as we had one that was a bit shorter ourselves some tie back but sold it off...like anything edge once its "made" and then polished out there can and will be a variance......same goes for the actual "color" and what is still left after all these years, let alone, fading, wear and polishing.........OR as happens at times, the initial blue, and temperature used...will cause the 'plum'........your gun looks "right" to me, just the gate is 'plum' .........

Latest posts