Single Six 22 magnum fluted cylinder cylinder.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have a Single Six 22 magnum fluted cylinder I bought off eBay years ago. I know old model Single Sixes had a fluted magnum cylinder and I know early NEW Model Single Sixes also had a fluted magnum cylinder. I have a 1973 vintage dual cylinder New Model Single six with a fluted magnum cylinder and the extra magnum cylinder I bought on eBay will not fit in that gun, but it will fit in my much later S.S. New Model Single Six and index properly. Any ideas on this ? Are the cylinders fitted to each gun at the factory and sometimes they will fit other guns ?

INLINECHEVY6.

contender

Ruger Guru
Cylinders are fitted to a gun at the factory. However,, they are not all the same OAL. It's usually due to how the barrel is installed & "clocked" to the frame. That gives them some tolerances to fit a cylinder.

And often, you can easily find a cylinder that's the same OAL or slightly longer make it work in a gun. if they are the same length,, they often work just fine. If they are a little long,, (by a few thousands,) most just hone the boss down enough to get one to fit.

Yes that's about it.

What's not fitting, is it too long to even fit in the frame? If so it may need to be fitted to that pistol. I had that issue with mine, except it was with an OM .22 LR cylinder. You can check with a micrometer, just measure the .22 LR cylinder from the pistol your wanting to fit the 22 magnum cylinder to. I fit mine myself (with advice from a member) and it was pretty easy. Just had to be patient and take my time.

sixpairrt.jpg

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Yes that's about it.

What's not fitting, is it too long to even fit in the frame? If so it may need to be fitted to that pistol. I had that issue with mine, except it was with an OM .22 LR cylinder. You can check with a micrometer, just measure the .22 LR cylinder from the pistol your wanting to fit the 22 magnum cylinder to. I fit mine myself (with advice from a member) and it was pretty easy. Just had to be patient and take my time.

sixpairrt.jpg
This just a spare part I picked up in case I ever lost the magnum cylinder for my Early New Model Single Six that belonged to my late father inlaw. I may never have to use it, but I am a big fan of extra parts. Every spare part I have ever bought would cost a lot more to replace now and a lot of them are to be found nowhere. I also just wanted to know if there is a difference between old model and New Model fluted magnum cylinders.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
My early New Model Single Six does have the old style 22LR cylinder with the firing pin groove. I didn't even remember that the 22LR cylinder was the old style until recently. My late father inlaw passed away 31 years ago and it has sat in the back of my safe for most of that time. My father inlaws first wife bought him a Winchester model 61M in 22 magnum. His second wife bought him the Single Six and his third wife gave them to my wife ( his daughter) and me when he passed away. Lucky for us he was more of a fisherman than a shooter, so they are both in excellent cond.

INLINECHEVY6.

black1970

Blackhawk
A friend of mine was looking for a magnum cylinder for his new model single six. I lucked out and found one at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. Got it for 90 bucks and was stainless. Worked and fit fine. In fact the 22 LR cylinder measures 1.406 and the magnum cylinder is 1.401. Lock up is spot on. Just lucky I guess.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine was looking for a magnum cylinder for his new model single six. I lucked out and found one at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. Got it for 90 bucks and was stainless. Worked and fit fine. In fact the 22 LR cylinder measures 1.406 and the magnum cylinder is 1.401. Lock up is spot on. Just lucky I guess.
$90.00 in todays world for a blued or stainless Single Six cylinder in any caliber is a good price. I don't remember what I paid for mine as it was over 20+ years ago.

INLINECHEVY6.