Single Six 17 Mach 2 Conversion Cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hawkeye Wizard

Bearcat
I have a stainless Single Six in 17 HMR. I want a Mach 2 conversion cylinder. Brownells sells a blued one by Borchardt. Midway sells a blued one by Story. Anyone have any experience with either of them? How hard are they to fit? Do the chambers line up correctly with the barrel? How accurate are they?
Do you know anyone who sells a stainless Mach 2 cylinder?
Thanks,

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
I fitted a blue one and it's not hard at all. Some light stoning and it fit fine. Since then I ended up with a .17 stainless Hunter. I have installed the same blued cylinder in it and it seems to function fine but I've not shot it yet. In my blued model it shoots great but I have not had it on the bench to really see how accurate it is. I would like to find a stainless cylinder, I understand Ruger made some .17 convertibles but they are pretty scarce and command a premium when you do find them. I even considered taking a stainless cylinder in .22 and sleeving and chambering it to M2 but that would be a lot of work. Buy one of the blue cylinders they are not that hard to fit and the M2 is a great little round.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hawkeye Wizard":3gmux6uk said:
I have a stainless Single Six in 17 HMR. I want a Mach 2 conversion cylinder. Brownells sells a blued one by Borchardt. Midway sells a blued one by Story.

Mr. Story changed the name of his shop to Borchardt. Same place, different name.

flatgate

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have one of the Story Cylinders I got from Midway well over a year ago. It was way too big for my blued 17HMR Single Six (both the sylinder and the stem) but it is close to fitting my 5.5-inch Stainless 17HMR so I plan to fit it to the stainless revolver.

17Mach2 ammo is very tough to find these days however and I expect it will only become harder to find so if you are considering buying a cylinder you might want to buy a bunch of ammo right away as who knows if you will be able to find it later.

If you are doing this as a cheap plinker, you might do a reality check on that ammo supply issue. I bought it as a novelty and I have a box of 500-rounds of 17Mach2 ammo (plus a few extra boxes) but obviously given I have not got around to fitting it I am in no rust to shoot up the ammo I have. I can't find it at my local shops to get more either.