Single Shot Mini 14 223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chiefjones

Bearcat
So I found a post from 2009 online from this Forum by someone going by chet15 in regards to a Very Rare Mini 14 single shot that was made for export into Europe. Well I wasn't after one but just ended up purchasing a Mini 14 that is one of these guns, and yes I confirmed it via serial # with the techs at Ruger, it is a Model KM114/5F and the F apparently told them it was a single shot model. When I got it and fired the gun it would only fire a single shot and you have to manually load the next round via the bolt action. I pulled the Gas Block to find it was solid and had No holes for the Gas to pass through. Can anyone here tell me more about the rarity or value of this gun?? Is chet15 still around??

pete44ru

Hunter

Chet's still active, and would have most likely answered your question if you had posted it in our collector's section (where he hangs out).

Alternatively, you could PM him.

pisgah

Buckeye
Reminds me of the time many years ago when a friend was getting his son started deer hunting. He supplied the boy with an SKS and appropriate ammo, and the kid handled and shot it well, but talked continuously about how great it was going to be to be able to rip off a whole bunch of shots at any passing buck, and Dad was concerned that he wouldn't take his time and aim to finish the job with one shot. "Maybe a semi-auto is a bad choice for him at this time," said Dad.

Okay. I took the rifle from Dad's hands and in about 20 seconds removed the gas piston. Presto, change-o -- straight-pull bolt action.

chet15

Hawkeye
From the Reference of Ruger Firearms...

Identification: The Mini-14 single-shot "Straight Pull Rifle" is identified as a stainless Mini-14 Ranch Rifle produced for the English market which was specifically manufactured without the gas port in the barrel. The model is actuated by hand operation of the slide, but is still clip fed, hence "Bolt Action Only".

Models: M-14/5RP-BAO; M-14/5R-BAO (Ruger model 1874…not known to have been produced commercially although this model was listed on 2001 Ruger in-house list); KM14/5RPBAO (Ruger model 1875…not known to have been produced commercially although this model was listed on 2001 Ruger in-house list); KM14/5RPGBBAO (Ruger Model 1878) and KMINI30BAO-P (Ruger model 1880). Introduced to the UK market in about 1998. They were advertised as a zytel stocked stainless Mini-14 Ranch rifle and the same basic model with bayonet lug and flash hider.

Variations:

Although the two Mini-14 models were listed on the English website, it is not known if both were actually produced. It is reported that only 50 to 100 Mini-14 "Straight Pull" Rifles were manufactured. And it is unknown how many of the Mini-30 "Straight Pull" Rifles were produced. Known s/n's and s/n ranges 196-26152 to 196-27087 (Mini-14-BAO…note that 45 of this model in this s/n range were sold as an overrun through William's Shooter Supply); 196-52937 to 196-53261 (KMini-30BAO-P…"stainless with black plastic stock, single blade front sight and without flash hider or bayonet lug"), a rifle that was sold domestically in the U.S. as an overrun to the English Export model (Williams Shooters Supply (IL) received 8 of these. Also 196-26152 to 196-27087 (KM14/5RPGBBAO) with at least 64 of these going to William's also through Ruger's warehouse cleanings. Extremely rare. There may have only been "20 or so" of the model Kmini-30BAO-P produced.

Chet15

FergusonTO35

Hunter
There is a video of an English gentleman discussing his stainless version and shooting it on the range so at least one of them made it over there. I think a straight pull Mini would be a neat gun to have, it would likely be quite accurate. Maybe have a gas block that could be switched open or closed as desired.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The value would only be if someone really wanted it for their collection. Really cool to have one though. Could be converted if done correctly by a gunsmith. If the block is the same you would need the port bushing and correct piston. I however would leave it as is.

Maybe worth a lot if someone is willing to pay the large fees and go through the hoops to get it exported and passed through proofing in another country.