Single Seven end shake?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
was cleaning my single seven this morning and noticed it had some end shake. it's been maybe six months since I last shot it but when I did I was shooting light loads. all total I probably have 400 rounds though the gun.

I don't have any feeler gauges but it seems like the BC gap almost doubles. will this be a safety issue? should I send it back to Ruger?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A tiny bit can SEEM like a lot. Without any way to accuratly measure it I would not get to excited about end shake in a single action.
Question, does the cylinder face rub on the back of the barrel extension when the cylinder is held in the forward position. With a case loaded in a chamber and that chamber located under the firing pin, how much for and aft movement can be felt?

LSCG

Buckeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
A tiny bit can SEEM like a lot. Without any way to accuratly measure it I would not get to excited about end shake in a single action.
Question, does the cylinder face rub on the back of the barrel extension when the cylinder is held in the forward position. With a case loaded in a chamber and that chamber located under the firing pin, how much for and aft movement can be felt?

by barrel extension you mean the front of the Forcing cone right? if so then no, the cylinder doesn't touch when pushed forward. and with the chambers loaded the same amount of forward and rearward movement can be felt.

i'll probably see about picking up some feeler gauges next time i'm near an auto zone or napa and measure the BC gap.

don't know if they'd help but I snapped a couple pictures.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
There definatly is a gap between the cylinder and the frame as seen in the picture.
Measurements would be nice to know. I would be calling Ruger on that one and requesting a call tag to make shipping on them.

My Single Seven had about .008" of end play (.003" - .011"). The ratchet on the
rear of the cylinder has finer teeth than a Single Six or Blackhawk, and it appeared
that the teeth were digging into the frame from the recoil. It was only fired about
100 rounds of AE 100 gr JSP and Speer 115 gr GD. I sent it back to Ruger and
never saw it again. They replaced it with a Birdshead New Vaquero in 45 ACP.

Shawn :cry:

Mus408

Hunter
professor_cassidy said:
My Single Seven had about .008" of end play (.003" - .011"). The ratchet on the
rear of the cylinder has finer teeth than a Single Six or Blackhawk, and it appeared
that the teeth were digging into the frame from the recoil. It was only fired about
100 rounds of AE 100 gr JSP and Speer 115 gr GD. I sent it back to Ruger and
never saw it again. They replaced it with a Birdshead New Vaquero in 45 ACP.

Why would they replace it with a totally different gun?

DGW1949

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
Looks like that barrel needs to be screwed in another turn.

Although the two must compliment one another, end shake is independent of B/C gap.

Just going from the posted photos:
If the barrel of the gun in question were to be "screwed in another turn" as you suggest, end shake would surely decrease...but...the decrease would be due to the cylinder now contacting the barrel instead of the "cylinder bushing" contacting the frame.
Working from the other end of the mule....There are various ways to "fix" it's cylinder so's to eliminate the excessive end shake, but the amount of end shake which is eliminated is going to show up as a corresponding increase of the B/C gap, which generally speaking, is not a good thing.....plus, beings how fixing the end shake also positions the cylinder body further backwards, now we're getting into headspace concerns, which may turn out to be fine, or maybe not.

Point is, I'm with Chuck 100 yd.....The gun needs to go back to Ruger.

DGW

LSCG

Buckeye
i'm going to try and get some Measurements this week if I can.

after what happened to Shawn i'm kind of worried about sending it back now. considering all the work and expense I've put into it I've grown rather attached and would sure hate it if Ruger wouldn't send it back to me.

maybe it would be better if I just bite the bullet and send it to a smith if a fix is needed.

DGW1949

Hunter
LSCG said:
i'm going to try and get some Measurements this week if I can.

after what happened to Shawn i'm kind of worried about sending it back now. considering all the work and expense I've put into it I've grown rather attached and would sure hate it if Ruger wouldn't send it back to me.

maybe it would be better if I just bite the bullet and send it to a smith if a fix is needed.

While you're looking it over, you might want to check the recoil shield to see if it shows signs of being battered by the cylinder's ratchet teeth. Without the excessive end-shake, 400 rounds of mild ammo wouldn't cause that...but.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It doesn't look that bad, probably within tolerances. If it shoots ok and isn't more than about .006" B/C gap I wouldn't worry about it. If you start getting a lot of lead spitting out the gap or the gap is .008" or more, send it back to Ruger.

If you send it back to Ruger get an FFL to send it in a FLAT RATE box. Much, much cheaper than if you send it UPS Overnight (which is the law). I would not worry about Ruger loosing it. :D

Ruger should send you a prepaid shipping label, they did when I sent mine back. When they inspected my gun last June they didn't have any parts to repair it. I told them to send it back, because they wouldn't hold it there waiting for the next Single Seven production run. When I got my gun back they had kept the cylinder. They offered a refund or replacement gun, so I sent it back again. Since they couldn't get a replacement Single Seven, I took a Birdshead 45 ACP instead.

I have a couple of SBH's with loading gate issues, but am very leery of sending anything to Ruger. At the same time I sent the Single Seven back I sent a Lipsey's stainless Single Six 4 5/8" back, which they also replaced with a new gun.

Latest posts