Single cartridge loading in a 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

*RGR*

Bearcat
Can .22 shorts and .22 long cartriges be single loaded into the 10/22 without resulting in any problem other than the action maybe not cycling?

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Yes and no.

Shorter cartridge cases will allow some buildup of powder residue ahead of the case mouth. If this is kept scrupulouly clean you'll never see a problem. If not, you can expect sticky extraction of longer cases - or even complete failure to extract in extreme instances.

Frankly, shooting the shorter cartridges is something I very rarely ever bother with, but I do keep 22 shorts on hand should I ever desire to shoot 'em - and I do on the aforementioned "rare" occasion.

Again: Keep the gun clean and you won't have a problem :D

And no, I did not retire from the Department of Redundancy Department :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ardolino

Bearcat
AND . . . a 22 short will make a groundhog spin in circles, run to his den and later die saving you the trouble of burying him.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
ardolino":1sbtv8ik said:
AND . . . a 22 short will make a groundhog spin in circles, run to his den and later die saving you the trouble of burying him.

Unless you make a perfect shot, many times a .22LR will give the same results. Groundhogs are tough little buggers :)

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Yes, Groundhogs are quite the durable creature aren't they..... LOL I got quite a few last year from the kitchen window.

I have considered using up some 22shorts on them instead of my good subsonics.

JTGant

Bearcat
.22LR ammunition is economical enought to use even really good stuff.
I sure wouldn't bother with other than LR ammo.
Frugal is frugal, but there is a point of being TOO frugal.

JTGant

Bearcat
No I didn't, you didn't make your original post clear enough regarding that aspect.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I put a 22 short kit into my short rifle 10/22 and shoot nothing BUT shorts in it. Feeds and functions perfectly with the kit. (new bolt, replacement hammer spring and magazine all in the kit)

I just like shooting the little shorts. Not a matter of economy. At the time I bought the kit, shorts were on the shelves and 22 lr was nowhere to be found. Makes good companion to my Beretta 22 short Minx auto pistol and my NAA mini in 22 short...................

A

Anonymous

Just get a Henry Lever action 22... It will take shorts and long rifle.. Magazine fed and fun to shoot... I shoot 22short CB's through mine... Hence, don't want to mess up my 10/22 just to shoot shorts.

BTW the Remington 22 Short CB's are so quiet you can hear the bullet actually hit the target! No big bang..