Single action only

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VonFatman

Blackhawk
I have a number of DA/SA guns (Smiths) and a fair number of SA guns. I tend to shoot SA as a rule but when I want to challenge myself, I will shoot DA. I find that my buddies who are police/police types tend to shoot LOTS of DA. I suspect it's a result of training and the "metro grizzly comin' at ya" practice for their work.

I can always shoot better when I shoot SA.

Bob

CraigC

Hawkeye
Predator2525":27ne6du9 said:
I also noticed when I pull the hammer back with my gun hand, it changes the grip and I have to reposition.
That can be corrected with practice. I do not shift my grip, lose the sights or the target when thumbing the hammer back. Don't need a low-swept hammer like the Super or Bisley pattern either. Gotta exercise those thumbs!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have as many SAs as DAs at this point, but I find myself shooting the SAs more at the range these days. I carry a DA. Or a Sig, which is about the same thing... ;)

-- Sam

don44

Hunter
CraigC":28saxsxp said:
All good observations. Some folks just prefer double actions. I like both and own quite a few double actions but prefer a good single action to all others.
I agree with you on that 100% :)

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I remember an old article by Bill Jordan (who was about as good as you can get with a double action) when he stated that when he wanted to kind of relax and do some fun shooting he used a single action. They both have there place. Just like there are different kinds of tools to do the same job. :)

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have wondered why someone has not come out with a good flip out cylinder single action? This way you could flip out the sylinder like a double action to quickly unload and reload the revolver but minimize the trigger and action components to have a smoother trigger like a Blackhawk vs the Redhawk.

Sure, some double actions have very good triggers but much trickier to work on then a single action and you always have more moving parts.

Anyways, just one of those mysteries I will never understand as while we like the classic lines there is certainly advantages to living without the loading gate too!

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Well, the early top breaks like the Schofields were SAs. They are pretty cool. I wish I could have afforded one of the S&Ws when they reintroduced them some years ago. I say reintroduced because it's difficult to characterize them as reproductions since they originally made 'em !

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Quarterbore":35ys1ish said:
I have wondered why someone has not come out with a good flip out cylinder single action? This way you could flip out the sylinder like a double action to quickly unload and reload the revolver but minimize the trigger and action components to have a smoother trigger like a Blackhawk vs the Redhawk.

Sure, some double actions have very good triggers but much trickier to work on then a single action and you always have more moving parts.

Anyways, just one of those mysteries I will never understand as while we like the classic lines there is certainly advantages to living without the loading gate too!
I've wondered why no one came up with an SA revolver that simply moved away from the "cowboy" heritage and lines. As much as I like my BHs they're really still Colt SAA wannabes. It's probably felt that there's not much of a market for a SA that doesn't have the look.

I have heard of having certain S&W DA revolvers made SA only for target work. Not sure if it actually saves anything.

Also, I question that "DA has more moving parts" thing. Ever had a NM BH apart? I find them much more complicated than a S&W.

-- Sam

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Hey, don't shoot the newbie :wink: I have taken my single sixes and blackhawks apart but I have not even thought about taking my Redhawks apart :wink:

My point really was that there is a fair amount of mechanicals needed to get that double action mechanism going. Now, when she is cocked you don't have to move the springs so it may be a moot point.

Then again, foolish me would like to striker based double action revolver too but me and that whole "thinking in the box" thing has never really worked out well for me :lol:

leejack

Single-Sixer
I respect the opinions of all on this subject.

About 10 years ago, I migrated from DA to SA. I just love the SA Rugers. That is what I shoot the most, by far.

I just love them!

lee

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
yosemite sam,
I don't really see Rugers as being SAA wannabes. More like what the SAA should have been. Admitedly, they didn't have the steel that they do today, but they could have had coil springs, at least. I wouldn't trade any of my three screws, for an SAA, no matter what the difference in cost. :D
jmho,
Earl.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
EarlFH":k6zrmw45 said:
yosemite sam,
I don't really see Rugers as being SAA wannabes. More like what the SAA should have been. Admitedly, they didn't have the steel that they do today, but they could have had coil springs, at least. I wouldn't trade any of my three screws, for an SAA, no matter what the difference in cost. :D
jmho,
Earl.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, from a functional standpoint. I was just saying that they still follow the SAA traditional looks/lines/format.

My point was that technically there's no reason you couldn't have something like a Security Six that was single action only.

-- Sam

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":2b2hoste said:
EarlFH":2b2hoste said:
yosemite sam,
jmho,
Earl.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, from a functional standpoint. I was just saying that they still follow the SAA traditional looks/lines/format.

My point was that technically there's no reason you couldn't have something like a Security Six that was single action only.

-- Sam

Welllll, there is that connection to the old west! I really like that. Too many 50's, and 60's westerns on TV, I guess. :lol:
Earl.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I shoot my best with a DA in DA mode. My DA shooting really improved with Rugers once I learned the old school technique of staging the trigger pull. I got into SA's late so I'm playing catchup, but it's coming along.

deac45

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I would have to go the other way. Keep the lines of a single action but make it double action. Actually the only thing I would even consider changing on the single action would be to make a swing out cylinder so you can unload and load faster. :)

jpickar

Blackhawk
I really like shooting my SA rugers. I know Rugers are well made and I prefer having a Ruger in my hands. BUT I carry a S&W 629 44 mag with a 4" barrel with a can of bear spray on the other side of my shoulder holster when I walk the woods.

I live where we have grizzly as well as black bears, mountain lions and wolves. Yes wolves do attack people.

Without a doubt double action is preferable under stress conditions. I don't care how good you are with your SA, just squeezing the trigger takes less mentally capacity under stress conditions.

I have had limited encounters but my sons have had several close encounters and the double action wins.

John

maxpress

Buckeye
I think that the main rationale for DA is for fast use against up-close grizzlys. But since probably 99% of the owners of monster DA revolvers will never get within 2000 miles of a grizzly unless they visit a zoo, the DA feature is pretty much moot.

i have been within 50yrds of a big kodiak/griz while i was driving to work in valdez ak. thats as fast as the brakes would stop me as it crossed the road. not sure which one, dont care. can tell ya that i looked at my .44 sbh and thought it looked pretty puny compared to that mamoth.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
There are some single action only swing out cylinder revolvers. Smith made a few model 14 masterpiece 38s that were single action only. But I think you sacrifice a lot of strength with a swing out cylinder.
I have many big bore Smiths but when I am serious about putting a bullet in the center I always thumb back the hammer. The exception to this is my ccw which is a 10 round striker fired 45acp.

With my big boomers, I am always quicker and far more accurate pulling back the hammer than stacking up the trigger on my DA revolvers. How about you guys that use a scoped pistol, DA or SA?

Kanook

Buckeye
How about you guys that use a scoped pistol, DA or SA?

S&W 460s&w I use it in SA most of the time, but if I get busted before I can pull the hammer back I can still DA and put it in the freezer.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
maxpress":kgzf44jw said:
can tell ya that i looked at my .44 sbh and thought it looked pretty puny compared to that mamoth.

Waking up in the middle of the night with nothing between you and a big furry critter but thin nylon (tent) makes that 44 feel a bit small. I was in Colorado so I'm sure what ever it was wasn't that big. Fortunately it didn't stick around so not sure what it was. Probably a man eating coon :)