single action ccw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alaskamace

Bearcat
I have carried autos for years here in Ak. However, in recent months I have found myself re-thinking some things. I have always loved the single-action, shoot it more than my others, and am far more comfortable with it overall. Result is I have swapped my carry gun to a .357 Vaguero, just waiting on my leather from Mernickle. I believe you ought to carry what you are comfortable with. If that happens to be a single-action, so be it.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
alaskamace":2zy818hg said:
I meant to post this under the other thread, please excuse my newbie mistake.

i don't think it's any thing to worry about :wink:

Please excuse me for not saying it earlier...........Welcome to the forum.

~c.r.

skip

Single-Sixer
I carry my SA sometimes ccw also....but I realize that I may be putting myself at a disadvanatage...satistics show that most of the times there are more than one bad guy and that many have semiautos....

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
skip":2cjnp7bi said:
...satistics show that most of the times there are more than one bad guy and that many have semiautos....

If there are fewer than seven, shoot first.
If there are more than six, bring friends with guns. :wink:

Jack

357phase

Single-Sixer
After shooting my single actions for so long and cocking the hammers on my double actions,I find myself often reaching for the hammer on my P239 :eek:

Meeteetse

Bearcat
I often carry my Sheriff's model Vaquero (.45 Colt) in a high rise belt holster when I am headed to the mountains and I'm wearing a jacket or sweater. It really doesn't take up any more room than a big semi-auto or other large revolver. Since I like to carry a Redhawk, too, the Vaquero is no big deal.

Allen207

Single-Sixer
skip":1cv437lo said:
I carry my SA sometimes ccw also....but I realize that I may be putting myself at a disadvanatage...satistics show that most of the times there are more than one bad guy and that many have semiautos....

For what it is worth (and I realize that is very little) I would rather face several wannabe gangsters shooting their Glocks side saddle, than a single member of this forum who is skilled with the use of a single action. Of course, best case scenario is to never be in either situation :)

raw6464

Bearcat
Fire power rules... all things being equal a skilled man with 6 shot SA gun would be a better skilled man with an 18 round semi.

Carry what you want. I carry a Glock 45 because they don't make a 46.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
One Glock .45APC comes with a six shot mag with one up the spout not much more that a Vaquero. I shoot full sized guns better than scaled down versions of big guns. I shoot the Ruger BearCat because I practice. I shoot the 1911 pattern better than I shoot the large framed Glock in 10mm. I carry the 10mm for its magazine capacity and stopping power. I have trained my self to shoot deliberately with the big Glock. Shooting Glocks is very much like a single action without moving the thumb yet learning clearance drills. I have stopped carrying the 1911 because the GP-100 us holds just about as many rounds, can be reloaded just about a quickly is powerful and I shoot it well.

I train on double actions to shoot double action.

If I could get a hold of a short barreled Vaquero I'd carry it in the city. Because the purpose is not to use the weapon. Once the gun is out. You are just another "Man with a gun" to any witness or the police. If you use the gun you become involved in a crime for which you must account your actions.

Sense I have had my CCW I have spent more time avoiding trouble. From my experience of street crime here a Single Action Revolver is enough. I fact if you pull it the purp will get the cops on you for display of a weapon, a class 2 misdemeanor and enough to have your CCW reviewed!

The handgun is there to give you enough time to get to your long gun. Calthrop

Odie808

Single-Sixer
PICT0006.jpg

pyth0n

Buckeye
alaskamace":1q9uj3n6 said:
I meant to post this under the other thread, please excuse my newbie mistake.

Ten lashes with a frozen noodle. Say five Sarah Palins and carry on. :lol:

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Man carrying a concealed single-action revolver stopped a robber in Richmond, VA a couple (few?) months ago. It was all over the news here, and it even made American Hunter. Apparently guy comes into a convenience store full of customers, tells them all to lay down on the floor, and turns his attention to the clerk/owner. Good guy draws his SA and fires once hitting and wounding the robber. Can't remember right off, but as I recall, that was the end of things. Robber survived, though.

OK, went and got the article. Robber comes in, orders customers to the floor and fires "in [their] direction." Shot owner twice (he survived). CCW holder jumps up, draws his ".45-cal. Colt revolver" and told the robber to drop the gun. Robber didn't, CCW shoots him, takes his gun, and holds him for police.

Interesting thing is onlookers wanted the CCW to shoot the guy again, but of course he didn't. Everyone, including the robber, recovered from injuries.

Single-actions: 1
Gang-banger style: 0

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
It was a bit wilder than that!

First, the gun was an Italian replica 1875 Remmie with a 7.5" tube. OPEN CARRY!

The goblin fired as you said, lightly wounding the clerk, good guy with the Remmie drew, fired and hit the goblin who didn't go down, good guy dove behind a plastic barrel full of ice and soda as cover. On impact with the ground, good guy somehow damaged the trigger on the Remmie clone. BUT he still kept in the fight, slip-hammering and firing it with the thumb. An extended gunfight broke out that way, good guy fired a total of four shots, hit with three including the first, bad guy ran his gun dry without any more hits on anybody. On at least one occasion goblin pointed his gun at somebody else, good guy saw it, fired to put a stop to it. Once the baddie's gun was dry, goblin was still on his feet approaching the good guy, other customers urged more bangs out of that Remmie, good guy held fire, got in a brief wrasslin' match with the goblin, bopped him upside the head with that 7.5" barrel at least once, goblin staggered towards the door, collapsed and later died.

Final score: good guy with Remmie unharmed, clerk mildly wounded (still up and checking on everybody else once the gunfight was over and back to work soon thereafter), nobody else harmed including a 10yr-old kid the goblin was pointing a gun at when first engaged by the good guy. Zero legal problems for the dude with the Remmie.

Oh, and the goblin was on drugs of some sort, meth suspected last I heard.

I suspect the Remmie failed due to a brass (or cheap steel?) triggerguard bending, but I'm not certain. That or the trigger return spring? We also strongly suspect he'd loaded it five-up, hammer on empty.

Lessons learned: going for cover helped a lot, controlled aimed fire ditto. Cool head most of all, including knowing his gun and knowing how to keep it running despite damage that would have turned anything else into a doorstop. I suspect he kept shot #5 in reserve in case another baddie made an appearance.

In my case, my daily carry is a NewVaq357 loaded full up 6, with VERY hot 125gr Gold Dot projectiles as loaded by Doubletap Ammo. I am very confident this load has at LEAST the same manstopping power on tap as any good 45LC load compatible with that Remmie clone or the NewVaq45, and quite possibly better.

I also know for a fact my gun is tougher than that Italian Remmie.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Sweeeeet! Thanks for "the rest of the story." That's awesome.

Too bad he didn't have a buntline. Although it sounds like the 7.5" barrel did the trick just as well.

Man.... that's awesome to read about. Glad it wasn't me. :shock:

leejack

Single-Sixer
Welcome from Texas!

My Blackhawk has been known to go along for the ride from time to time! :wink:

Lee