Simple Single Six 32 Conversion to 327

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
A friend who is much better equipped for hobby gunsmithing said he would be glad to help me cut down both of my 32s. I am looking forward to it!

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
Here is the companion Single Six 327... the grip frame hasn't been fitted, but it's close enough to use. The cylinder has to be just right to get cartridges in and out, so I'm going to add a free spin pawl to each. I am eager to get these 32s shortened!

dougader

Hunter
I love the birds head grip frame on my 32:

i-g5mmmCT-L.jpg

peyton

Single-Sixer
I am glad this conversion worked out for you. I have about 10 single sixes in 32 mag and I am gonna convert them all when I return from Afghanistan.

DGW1949

Hunter
Call me dumb, but I don't get it.
Perhaps someone can help me out here;

We're basicaly talking about two almost I dentical cartridges, the only difference being that one has a case which is a scant 1/10" longer than the other.....right?
So....we ream the cylinder for the shorter of the two so's the longer one will also fit....but...then we gotta either shave-off the bullets, or seat them deeper in order to keep them from poking-out of the end,....right?
So, given that the only advantage(s) of one cartridge over the other has all but been cancelled-out by the shaving and/or deeper-seating, what have we actualy accomplished?.....

.....Or maybe I should ask.....what am I missing here?

DGW

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
327 is 10/100" longer than 32 H&R magnum, and it is significantly thicker walled.

The shaving that I do is about 2/100". Where I seat the bullets is well within the SAMMI specs for 327 OAL.

The max pressures in a 32 H&R magnum is 21,000 psi... 327 is more than twice that.

We're not talking about two nearly identical cartridges. One is a lot more powerful than the other.

If it is still not clear to you, don't worry too much about it... don't mod your 32! ;)

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah on all that, especialy the pressure differences....which I assumed (rightly or wrongly) means that once we beigin cutting-back the case length and/or altering the seating depth of (an X-length/weight) bullet, the side effect would be increaded pressure....which seems to me. would dictate a somewhat lower powder charge.....which seems to me, would be counter-productive to the excersize....
.....but.....maybe I'm still missing something. Or maybe I'm just too hard-headed?...yeah, could be that :lol: .

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
MacEntyre said:
DGW1949 said:
...maybe I'm just too hard-headed?...yeah, could be that :lol:
You've convinced me! ;)

But you not me.
In the mean time, I suppose that we'll wait to see if there's any ballistic and/or pressure test results forthcoming for the modified cartridge which is being described.

DGW

kodiakisland

Bearcat
As far as why to do the conversion, I think it all depends on what you want to do with the gun. I've been loading the 32H&R to max pressure for 20 years and really don't see the need for the 327 if using 115gr or lighter bullets. Where the 327 shines is shooting bullets 115gr and heavier. You just can't get enough medium or slow powder in the H&R to drive the heavy bullets fast. The 327 allows that. I pretty much only shoot my 327 with 130gr bullets. If all you shoot is factory rounds, the 327 is the way to go.

I do wonder, has anyone sectioned recent starline brass in 32H&R and 327? My guess is there is no difference except length. Maybe I'll do that this week and see.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
If I want to shoot mild 32s, like the S&W Long, I'll use my S&W I-frames. If I want to get the maximum performance out of a 32 revolver, my Blackhawk 8-shooter or custom S&W 616 fill the bill. There is a very narrow window for the 32 H&R (a semi-magnum at best) so I'm not sure I could "justify" buying a Single Six in that caliber, so if I could get a little more potential out of it at 327 FM while gaining the advantage of a smaller size. I might think favorably about such a smaller, more handy package to replace that big, clunky old Blackhawk. That's just me of course... YMMV. ;)

Froggie

dougader

Hunter
Brian Pearce from Handloader magazine sectioned both 32 and 327 brass and found appreciable difference between the two (aside from length, as you say).

gak

Buckeye
Keep in mind, Bowen sells already fluted and piloted .327 cylinder blanks for DIY chamber bore, b/c and finish or your favorite local smith. Represents a potential savings over the full out-of-town custom, of course depending on what local resources you have