sigma 40cal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chris101973

Bearcat
Can anybody tell me why this gun gets beat up so bad all over the net? i just got one laast week and its a great gun sure the trigger is stiff but its not any worse then my p94 in d/a and i hate to say it but the fit and finish is better the my p94. i wonder if its just the cost people see how cheap it can be had and just assume it must be junk. IMHO S&W nailed it with this gun. or is there something i am missing about this gun?

collector rob

Bearcat
No there isn't. I have one and have no problem with it. I think the trigger pull issue is greatly over blown. Yes the trigger is heavier than some of my other pistols, but it is still serviceable.
Check out the Smith & Wesson forum for more info.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have any experience with them but from what I have read I think a lot of people got turned off to the Sigma because of problems with the early guns. The latest generation seems to work well. I don't have a link handy but you can send the gun back to Smith for a free trigger job if you want it improved on.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I don't like them because I think they feel cheaply made, I also don't like the trigger, or the looks very much. BUT, I haven't heard anyone say they don't go BANG when you pull the trigger.

I know one of our members gatorhugger has several, and from what I remember he likes them both. You may want to PM him about them.

As I said, they're not my style, but I don't think they're a bad functional firearm. They cost less, and for that you get less, that's only fair. I wouldn't worry about what others think if YOU like the gun, and it performs for YOU.

REV

bub

Single-Sixer
Mike J":2wam81l0 said:
I don't have any experience with them but from what I have read I think a lot of people got turned off to the Sigma because of problems with the early guns. The latest generation seems to work well. I don't have a link handy but you can send the gun back to Smith for a free trigger job if you want it improved on.

I think Mike nailed it, a lot of the "problems" people have with the Sigma came from problems when the gun first came out.

When they were first introduced, the Sheriff's Dept in my home county bought and issued them. They had MASSIVE problems with them- sights falling off for no reason, parts breakage, malfunctions for no apparent reason (even with experienced shooters), variable trigger pulls. They had them less than 6 months and traded them all in for the SW-99 in .40.

A few years after, my Dept hired a guy part time and he carried a Sigma in .40. What a difference a few years made! His was one of the early "Value Line" series, or whatever S&W called them then. Stainless slide, black frame. We made fun of him for carrying the Sigma, based on the SO's experiences.......until we got to the range. The Sigma was accurate and reliable and never bobbled in the least.

Based on all the good reviews I'm hearing about the current Sigmas, one of the 9mm variants is on my short list if I can find one for a good price. Triggers are reportedly a little stiff, but they are reportedly similar to a good DA revolver, which is fine with me. I held one when they first came out and I don't think I ever held a gun that fit me better. VERY ergonomic! Should make a good house/range gun and I won't cry (much) if I have to use the Sigma for self defense, then lose it as evidence for the inevitable Police investigation.

Bub

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I agree with most the posts. I have a 40VE and its a good gun. I don't have a problem with the trigger. Its a DAO design for safety. Since I shoot and own double action revolvers this is not a problem. I will probably get a 9VE or a Ruger P95. I think both are good reliable guns. I would rather spend my big money on revolvers. I like revolvers better anyway.

But that's my view,
roaddog28

rugeraddict

Bearcat
I love my S&W40VE- it has a trigger similar to a double-action revolver, so it works fine for me. It also shoots 175gr. lead reloads all day, and it has great ergonomics. It is probably the best deal out there for a semi-auto 9 or 40cal pistol.

chris101973

Bearcat
thanks for the feedback guys, i am not worried what other people think i was just wondering if there was something i was missing. The gun does fit in my hand like it was made for me, I am sure i will end up with the 9mm verison of the gun soon or later also.

Chris

Rodney72

Bearcat
I really, really wanted to like the Sigma. I live not too far away from the guy who does all the warranty work for S&W on its Sigmas. I was going to purchase a Sigma 40 from him and he was going to make sure the trigger was good to go out of the box. The gun felt great holding it at Academy (on sale for $299) but the problems began when I rented one at the range. I have rather large hands, I guess, and every time the slide cycled back it whacked the knuckle on my thumb.

Twenty five rounds later, having missed the X ring consistently at 10 yards and with a bloody and swollen knuckle I called it quits. I later tried a P95, loved it and went out and bought one yesterday for $10 more than the Sigma.

I don't agree with those who bash the Sigma. Yes, the trigger is gritty and mushy, but it's fine for a defensive weapon.

Scorpion

Bearcat
Mike J":2z04jz3x said:

Mike's right on point. I believe most of the early issues have been resolved. I have the 9mm Sigma and other than the somewhat heavy trigger pull I have no complaints. As someone mentioned; it would be a good defensive firearm.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I had one when they first cam out (S&W40F model) and it is without any doubt thw worst POS excuse for a gun I have ever made a mistake of buying. The one I had lasted about 500 to 750 rounds before the frame statted splitting lengthwise from the muzzle end of the gun. The dust cover area of the frame had a 1/4-inch split when I discovered it was coming apart!

Smith and Wesson did replace it but after dealing with the crappy trigger and seeing one come undone at the seams with factory ammo I sold the replacement new unfired and have been buying Glocks ever since.

The only gun that the Sigma might be better then is a Hi-Point but boy I am not even sure if I should put down the lowly Hi-Point by comparing it to the Sigma! Friends don't let frends buy the S&W Sigma!

bub

Single-Sixer
Chris, to be fair to Quarterbore, they were BAD when they first came out! I don't think even S&W knew how bad they really were! I'd like to think that S&W did a lot of R&D on the Sigma but, after seeing the experiences that our local Sheriff's Department had, I don't think S&W did all the R&D they really should have done. They got spanked real bad by the original Sigma, went back to the drawing board and now, from the vast majority of reports I have seen and read, it is a pretty good gun. Like I said, I'll have to handle one and preferably shoot one, but a 9mm is on my short list if I can find one when I have cash and don't find anything else that tickles my fancy.

Bub

Mike J

Hunter
If what happened to Quarterbore happened to me I'd never buy another one either. Everyone here shares their experience & opinion.

chris101973

Bearcat
i agree with everything said i wasnt bashing quaterbore in anyway, i would feel the same way if it happen to me. i am the same way with cars thats why i only drive fords.

Chris1

Bearcat
I had a sw40ve and liked it very much. It was even my ccw piece for almost 2 years. I had 2 malfunctions within the first 50 rounds and then it ran 2k-3k without issue. Sold it to buy something else and now i somewhat regret it.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
I have a Sigma SW40VE, I also have a Sigma SW9VE. I like both of them as well as my Ruger P-95 and Ruger P-97, and my Glock G23. All that being said the two Rugers and the Glock stay in the safe and the Sigma stays in the bedside. Heres why. In the middle of the night if I wake up groggy hearing wierd sounds I want a reliable handgun without external safetys and with a trigger heavy enough that when I am fishing around in the drawer I don't worry about my finger inadvertantly mashing something. Yes, I am an experienced shooter and when at the range I keep my finger outside the triggerguard until my sights are aligned. Night time surprise is a different matter.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
revhigh":1qkg8h2t said:
I don't like them because I think they feel cheaply made, I also don't like the trigger, or the looks very much. BUT, I haven't heard anyone say they don't go BANG when you pull the trigger.

I know one of our members gatorhugger has several, and from what I remember he likes them both. You may want to PM him about them.

As I said, they're not my style, but I don't think they're a bad functional firearm. They cost less, and for that you get less, that's only fair. I wouldn't worry about what others think if YOU like the gun, and it performs for YOU.

REV

I ain't real happy with them right now. More FTE's and light primer strikes.
Mine is back at Smith.

leejack

Single-Sixer
I chose the 9VE flat out over the G19. The sigma is the most ergonomical auto I ever had in my hand. Natural pointer.

I know it was born under a dark cloud, but that's ancient history now. The new ones are excellent.

Mine runs like a well oiled sewing machine. DAO pull is smoothe and ideal for home defense or carry.

Lee

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
leejack":3aob34xz said:
I chose the 9VE flat out over the G19. The sigma is the most ergonomical auto I ever had in my hand. Natural pointer.

I know it was born under a dark cloud, but that's ancient history now. The new ones are excellent.

Mine runs like a well oiled sewing machine. DAO pull is smoothe and ideal for home defense or carry.

Lee

Lee I think you may be getting a bit carried away. I know it's not better than a G19. Because my 3 sigmas have all been returned for service work and my Glock has not.
There is a problem I am becoming aware of with these guns. It maybe as simple as a cleaning issue, but maybe more.
They are great guns, until about the 400-500 round mark.
Then I have experienced light primer strikes with every single one.
One couldn't get through a mag without a FTE.
It could be maintenance is needed more, that these guns pick up more crap than a Glock, so the firing pin and extractor actually need removal more often, but whatever, it ain't no glock. Don't fool yourself.
I told myself the same line for years.