sights on super blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mharralson

Bearcat
I recently bought a new 7 1/2" super black hawk, and cannot get the sights adjusted correctly. I finally got the windage correct by adjusting to an extreme end, but cannot get the elevation correct. I have the rear sight down as low as possible and the gun still shoots approx. 2-3" high at 12 yds.

Are better sights available that are a direct bolt-on?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

squint

Bearcat
If it is a stainless, contact Ruger for a taller front sight. It will probably be free.

If it is blue, contact them anyway ...they MIGHT offer to fix it for free.

Sometimes they are real accommodating. Sometimes not.

Good luck.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Try it first, at 25 yards with a .240 grain bullet...factory round...before ya contact RUGER...HMHO.

The Super Blackhawk sites were never made for 12 yards!
This Gun begs for longer ranges!

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum Mharralson. :D
It's hard to tell from your post how experienced with large bore handguns you are, but if it was my Super Blackhawk, and I've had quite a few, I wouldn't concider changing anything about the sights until I'd tried several different types of ammo.
This is almost counterintuitive, but a slower moving bullet from a .44 Magnum will generally hit higher at close range (like 12 yrds.) than a faster moving bullet at that same distance. And as far as windage goes, have you had anyone else shoot your Super Blackhawk?
Believe me, I'm not imputing your shooting abilities. It's just that I know myself, and I have a terrible tendency to push or pull a new handgun off to the side when I squeeze the trigger. It always takes me a couple of hundred rounds of ammo in practice before I figure out exactly why I shouldn't have messed with the windage adjustment in the first place. :lol:

tek4260

Buckeye
Most of my Blackhawks shot high. I replaced the front sight with .595 height sights from Brownells. I like to hit exactly where I am aiming, and it sounds like yours is doing exactly what mine were. The windage was corrected by lightening the trigger, but the elevation would require a new sight. I called Ruger to see about having the sight replaced and I was told that they were in spec for a 6 o'clock hold on a 6" bull at whatever their standard yardage is(less than 25). I use mine for hunting, and it didnt seem right to hold where you can see light below a deer to hit it.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Don't change ammo! If you cannot adjust the sights to hit POA with the ammo that you are using, you need to change something.

1. Adjusting windage to either end sounds like your barrel is canted (pretty typical for Ruger). Ruger will replace the barrel but you will be w/o for 4-16 weeks. While they are at it, they'll probably fix #2.

2. Adjusting windage to the vertical extremes means that your front sight is not the proper height. In your case, too short. Follow the link to the Ruger factory gun parts at Brownells and down to items 41 and 42. Measure your's up and see if a taller one is available. Shooting too low is a lot easier to fix with a file and some patience.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/si ... _Blackhawk

The other way to correct it if you are handy is to (silver?) solder or braze a flag to the top of your sight and then file it down so POI=POA at about mid elevation or if you shoot heavy and light loads, so that they both fall within the adjustment window.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As noted above,, we have given you a few different options to consider. Since you are new,, we don't know of your abilities,, how you hold the gun,, your sight picture,, range,,, type of ammo,,,one handed vs two handed,, etc. You see, there are a lot of variables to consider.
So,, w/o all this,, and wanting to help you w/o you having to spend a lot of money on trying different things,, I'll offer this. Get a friend who is experienced in shooting big bore SA handguns. Have them try the gun with your ammo,, and at the range you are trying. If both of y'all get the same results,, then it's something with the gun,, not you.
Next,, as noted above,, if your front sight has a pinned in blade,, it can be replaced fairly easily with a higher one. If it's a totally welded on front sight,, then a trip to Ruger would be in order.
All that is assuming the ammo you are using is in the "normal" standards for that gun. Remember,, Ruger tests their guns with factory ammo,, that's a standard for that caliber. Basically a 240 grn jacketed bullet. And,, as noted they shoot at a shorter distance than the capabilities of the gun.
So,, before you blame the sights,, the ammo, the gun,, etc,, get a second or third opinion. THEN check other things,, one at a time to see if something changes. Lastly,, a call to Ruger will get you some help.

Mharralson

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the quick responses. This is my first 44 cal. Previously the largest revolver I have owned is a .357.

I was shooting 44 special 240 gr SWC from sandbags on a bench.

I will try magnums, and a longer distance.

tek4260

Buckeye
A faster bullet will impact lower than a slower one. The ones I replaced were on 4 5/8" 45's, which from what I gather are notorious for being too short.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Sharp Shooter":2h4n3vsm said:
This is almost counterintuitive, but a slower moving bullet from a .44 Magnum will generally hit higher at close range (like 12 yrds.) than a faster moving bullet at that same distance.

I had trouble figuring this out, but finally decided that in a pistol, the slower the bullet, the higher the muzzle flips, raising the point of impact.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
edlmann":gjuqf285 said:
Sharp Shooter":gjuqf285 said:
This is almost counterintuitive, but a slower moving bullet from a .44 Magnum will generally hit higher at close range (like 12 yrds.) than a faster moving bullet at that same distance.

I had trouble figuring this out, but finally decided that in a pistol, the slower the bullet, the higher the muzzle flips, raising the point of impact.

That's the way I understand it - comparing a faster moving bullet to slower moving bullet, by the time the slower moving bullet exits the barrel, the muzzle has risen higher in its recoil arc.
I keep my .44 Magnums sighted for 40 yards using cast 250-grain Keith SWCs over healthy doses of 2400. I just remember to hold a little low at close range when my revolver is stuffed with slower loads. For instance, in the fall during grouse season, I've snipped the heads off I don't know how many forest grouse at 10 or 15 feet using 240-grain swagged SWCs over charges of Unique. When I do that, I aim at the base of the grouse's neck.
However, every once in a while when I want to impress a grandkid or someone, I'll use one of my loads consisting of a 185-grain Speer JHP over a big charge of 296 to blow up a gallon milk jug full of water. At 10 or 12 yards with that load, I have to aim the top of the gallon jug to hit it in the middle.
I'll say something else. With a Super Blackhawk, my wife is a darn good shot in her own right. She was shooting AAA revolver class IHMSA competition back in the '80s when she took 2nd in the state. But she's a lot smaller than I am, she has smaller hands, and she doesn't grip a handgun as firmly as I do. Consequently, she almost always shoots to a higher POI with the same handgun using the same loads.

Latest posts